230 ci horsepower?

LeRoy

Does anyone know what the hp is for a 1947 version of the 230 ci engine? My service manual says 25 taxable hp, I assume taxable means the approximate HP of a car that was used as a user tax or maybe for tags?

It's hard to believe this car can be sent down the road by 25hp but I guess it's possible.

If my math is right a 230ci engine is about a 3.8l, modern 3.8l v6 engines make 150-200hp. They've come a long way.

4 minutes ago, LeRoy said:

If my math is right a 230ci engine is about a 3.8l, modern 3.8l v6 engines make 150-200hp. They've come a long way.

Not really, taxable HP isn't the same thing as gross or net hp.  Dunno what a 47 would have but a 50 230 has 103hp, 190 ft/lb of torque.  Best factory hp number I have seen is 138 and those numbers are gross, not net.

now the 3.0l (180 ci) straight six in my new ride puts out 300hp net, but it does use a turbo to do it.

14 hours ago, LeRoy said:

They've come a lot farther than that, the 2.7L V6 in my F150 is rated at 335hp and 400 ft/lbs of torque. It returned 26 mpg on a recent trip to the mountains. But I sure do enjoy driving the 218 in my P15 (all 95 angry hp!).  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 4

I think its funny when the boy racers here rev up their little 4 poppers with glass packs. They think they sound so tough until I rev up my 230 with a genuine 1960s glass pack.

Ya I know they are a lot faster than me, but they don't know that and our Miss Daisy is 85 years old. The only way their car will reach 85 years is as a baked bean can. Lol

Edited by SteveR
  • Haha 2