P-23 radiator hose/thermostat housing

Rodney_Hamon

I have a question about the upper radiator hose. Recently I started my ‘51 Cambridge and there was a pretty good leak around the base of the thermostat housing. I did jb weld rust holes in it 3 years ago to keep it alive but it bit the dust now. Enough to leave a puddle of fluid around the two closest spark plugs. I removed the hose and the housing after draining some water.   The top diameter opening on the thermostat housing is 1 3/4 in. while the radiator outlet on the top is 1 1/2 in.  Something is not original. The hose had another smaller hose inside to step it dn inorder to fit onto the radiator. The hose has a 1 3/4 in. inside diameter.  I called Andy B. to place an order for a new housing, gasket and upper hose that should be for a ‘51.  Any ideas from P-23 folk as to what the previous owner did ?  Is the radiator from something else?  Housing ?  Should I expect that hoses are always one diameter and not stepped dn on one end ?  Anyway, the car has been neglected and now it’s talking to me saying it’s my turn.  I have been giving all my attention to the ‘36 truck. Time to share I guess 

576AA7DD-78A5-4660-A8AE-68BDFFCD9266.jpeg

Agreed. This is an unknown radiator with no number. Sigh, but that’s normal for this kinda car rescue. I pulled the spare radiator out of the parts car which is a 2 dr ?  It has correct dimensions but I have to clean it as it hasn’t seen fluids for over 20 years? Looks ok though. Happily waiting for the housing and correct hose from Andy B. and yes the price was decent. 

5B6DF3E7-856D-4F87-859E-5550755A824B.jpeg

My local NAPA had all the radiator hoses on the shelf.  I wonder what else they fit because there is a serious lack of P23's around here, lol.  I should probably get a new housing too and take it to the powder coaters when I get the rest of the stuff done.

Picked up the new housing and hose from the P office today. Sniper got me thinking about painting or coating the housing before the install but this housing looks like it already has a healthy coating on it. Ready enough for me. Should have done this 3 years ago. 

58E93DBF-35F5-41AD-A17E-2F5EFB1C4CE2.jpeg

• Like 1

Earlier in the week I installed the new thermostat housing and filled the radiator up and damn...a pin hole leak of antifreeze weeping out the bottom. After I removed it I saw the little hole in the weld.  Called up A Bernbaum and they were super nice and sent a replacement out ASAP free of charge. It was getting windy anyway outside  so I had to stop. I don’t trust that big ole guillotine hood in the wind. When it warms up in a couple days I’ll resume. At least I had plan B and I worked on the truck in the garage where it was warmer.  At least A.B. has great customer service and it doesn’t surprise me that parts these days have flaws. Just the way it is..

92402068-6BA5-4B88-ACFE-728F255CC808.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing. Certainly was not Andy's fault. Nice to hear he took care of the problem so quickly.

So often we tend to report the bad and forget the good in people.

Not the point, if you have a mig welder handy ..... I picture myself cussing & cursing yelling about cheap quality parts while I was welding it up.

On 11/1/2022 at 3:08 PM, Sniper said:

My local NAPA had all the radiator hoses on the shelf.  I wonder what else they fit because there is a serious lack of P23's around here, lol.  I should probably get a new housing too and take it to the powder coaters when I get the rest of the stuff done.

I found the same thing at our local NAPA. I asked and was told that it is a common hose used on smaller farm tractors. I guess it is good to live in a village surrounded by farms.

New thermostat housing and gasket installed and it looked good outta the box. The thermostat was soaked in citric acid bath overnight so it was nice and clean also. I did put a thin coating of blue rtv on both sides of the gasket and this will probably take a couple days to cure with the cooler weather. Reluctantly I put the old scabbed radiator hose back on for this winter as I didn’t get the replacement radiator from the donor car cleaned enough. Not enough time and this may have to wait until spring.  I want to make sure it works and does not leak. 

4BB3FF56-3C7D-4933-9FAD-2047BA8F8E2C.jpeg

• Like 1

AFAIK the alloy thermostat housing used on V8 mopars of all types is the same size as that welded piece.....at least thats what I've found here in Oz & doubtfull if its an Oz only piece.........this pic was taken when I lined up all the parts I had for sale......shows the alloy V8 thermostat neck.....andyd

P1000644.JPG

Maybe it was only small block mopars V8's........andyd

Got the ole p-23 started as it hasn’t run in months.  Felt good to know antifreeze circulated throughout.  And speaking of that...a pin hole in the second thermostat housing. Half as big.  I swear I checked it before the install. Ok. I ran the engine for a while and put a shop rag around the base.  Thinking tomorrow am I’m going to put a bead of liquid steel on that spot. Kinda cold for a good curing but just going to.  I’ll call A. Bernbaum tomorrow and let him know he’s got a bad batch. After I ran the engine for 5-10 minutes I turned it off and drained just enough antifreeze to not see weeping of liquid around the base of the housing.  I should be angry and yet I’m not.  The carb had a bit of popping when I increased the rpm with the linkage so I know I have bigger issues than a pin hole in the crappy ass weld. Ha. That small block v-8 housing is looking better and better to me.  ?

EDF90C59-9652-4AB5-BED8-C37DC9BCD4B3.jpeg

On 11/16/2022 at 6:21 AM, Sniper said:

I believe the big block water neck is 1 1/2" not the 1 3/4" we use. 

Ok, I confirmed the V8 outlets are 1 1/2" whereas ours are 1 3/4"

Dayco sells reducers, part number 76950.  1 1/2 to 1 3/4.  So you can reuse your stock hose, but the later outlet isn't as tall and your hose might be too short to reach..  $7 at summit racing

But I found a molded hose that might work, Gates 20603.  I went to RockAuto to price out hoses, found and off brand for like $4.11 and figuring since this was a mock up no sense paying the quality price right now.  Shipping was $8.99 wow

Decided on an aluminum outlet RA had a cheap one, remember it's a mock up, for $5.67, shipping was $9.99, different warehouse.

Don't think so sparky.

Amazon to the rescue.  Delivered it was $0.29, used my rewards money, otherwise it was about $24 for the hose and outlet.  I don't like reducers, just a mental thing, lol.

One more thing, the V8 outlet that should work is 68 to 78 Mopar V8's, Mopar 1947427

Edited by Sniper

Sniper...you are brilliant at solving a conundrum. Koodoos !!  A molded hose. A reducer. Things that can work for the odd ball radiator that may have to be relied on for a temporary usage until a suitable replacement can be found. I considered an early mustang radiator as it seemed an ok temp fix. Your searches could make this work. There is an auto zone in Edgewood not that far from me that has allowed me to go in the back and look at their hose inventory. It helped when I needed hoses for my ‘36 truck. I admit I HATE searching for stuff on the web when my internet service and phone is so terrible. One bar of late. Thanks again for thinking about this hose to incognito radiator situation. Gone are the days an easy parts car can be sought out to find the replacement for our needs. Again, I think about that lonely p-23 sitting in a field not far from Ruidoso. Wonder if it has its radiator and or r. housing. Lol 

Well, my thermostat housing started to leak when I put a spacer in for my electric fan setup.  Took the spacer out and it still leaks, it didn't before so after seeing these new ones are leaky our of the box I decided to see about using the V8 one someone mentioned.  Since I know the V8 one is considerably shorter than out housing I'd need a new hose, that prompted me to see if I could find a molded hose that would work.  I dislike those ribbed universal hoses, whenever I see one I think no attention to detail, especially on an engine swap setup.

I am weird like that.

Rodney, I found a Gates pdf file at assets.gates.com. It has a 20923 molded hose on row 260 that I think might work for you, with the two different size hose ends. Rick D.