Timing for 218 flathead 6

dgrinnan

I searched the topics and ended up more confused than I was when I started.  First, when I order any engine part it appears that for the most the part is the same for pretty much any 218 engine from 1941 to 1953 both Dodge and Plymouth.   The only blog I found about timing specs had multiple answers. One person reported 2 D.B.T.C., another 4, another 8 and another 10.   Assuming no modifications to the engine, what good are specs if each engine is so unique there could be that wide of a range in setting the timing to get the best performance.  The Dodge Truck Manual I have for 1941 list the proper timing for a WC 1/2 ton as T.D.C. 

Start at 2 BTDC. Best way is to "road time", that is advance it a couple degrees from the 2 BTDC and take it for a drive. If it ping or knocks on hard acceleration retard it back, otherwise advance it another couple degrees and retest. When you find the sweet spot where it doesn't ping under hard acceleration lock it down. 

Also remember when setting timing always disconnect the vacuum advance and plug the line going to the carb. And do it at idle speed. 

10 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

Start at 2 BTDC. Best way is to "road time", that is advance it a couple degrees from the 2 BTDC and take it for a drive. If it ping or knocks on hard acceleration retard it back, otherwise advance it another couple degrees and retest. When you find the sweet spot where it doesn't ping under hard acceleration lock it down. 

Also remember when setting timing always disconnect the vacuum advance and plug the line going to the carb. And do it at idle speed. 

Agreed.   But I start with a vacuum gauge setting first.  That usually gets very near optimum.   I don't think I've used a timing light on old engines in 20 years or more.

• Like 1