New tires and powder coated wheels

LeRoy

I got my wheels powder coated almond color and mounted some tubless 205/70r16 tires. I don't like it quite as good as I did the baby blue wheels and wide whitewalls but it may grow on me. I may put a blue pinstripe on the wheels and an almond pinstripe on the car.

The ride is much improved and the tracking is considerably better.

20221024_164235.jpg.02212b72e31d6834f0053e4106bdd8b1.jpg

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Did you go from bias ply to radials?

Yes sir I did. I've got them aired up pretty hard, 40psi currently.

I got the narrowest tire I could find but they are still considerably wider than the 600x16. still plenty of clearance closest thing is 3/4" away.

Edited by LeRoy
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, LeRoy said:

mounted some tubless 205/70r16 tires.

14 hours ago, LeRoy said:

Yes sir I did. I've got them aired up pretty hard, 40psi currently.

That pressure is high for your coupe.  If those are P205/70R16 tires  (the P is important), I'd run 28psi to maybe 30psi.  The tire pressure/load chart for that size is available online at https://tirepressure.org/p205-70r16  (That's an "industry standard" pressure/load chart, if your tire manufacturer publishes data specific to your tire, go with that).  My printed book has a chart for the 205/70R16 (without the "P"), and that size/type of tire would need about 2psi higher pressure for the same loads.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Racer-X- said:

That pressure is high for your coupe.  If those are P205/70R16 tires  (the P is important), I'd run 28psi to maybe 30psi.  The tire pressure/load chart for that size is available online at https://tirepressure.org/p205-70r16  (That's an "industry standard" pressure/load chart, if your tire manufacturer publishes data specific to your tire, go with that).  My printed book has a chart for the 205/70R16 (without the "P"), and that size/type of tire would need about 2psi higher pressure for the same loads.

The sidewall says max of 44psi, this thing floats down the road like a baby buggy so I was trying to firm the ride up a bit. I took a page out of the autocross book and aired them up harder to make cornering stiffer, currently at 44psi. 

This morning I tightened the worm gear in the steering box a couple of times and significantly improved drivability so I'll likely back the pressures down slowly and see how it impacts things.

I also installed the rear shocks so that likely had something to do with it too.

On a side note the new rear shocks are much shorter than the ones that were on it. I called the manufacturer and they confirmed they are correct but I'm skeptical. The shocks I took off are 20.5" extended, the new ones are 17.5 fully extended. The fronts were an exact match.

So it's much quieter and smoother going down the road, not sure which thing made the most difference.

Headed to the alignment shop in a few minutes to have the tires balanced and toe checked.

13 minutes ago, greg g said:

I run my 20575 15 fronts at 32, 225 75 15 rears at 28.  How about some chrome trim rings to set off the wheels

I think some rings would help the appearance a great deal, I'm not sure where to get them or what would fit this wheel.

1 hour ago, LeRoy said:

On a side note the new rear shocks are much shorter than the ones that were on it. I called the manufacturer and they confirmed they are correct but I'm skeptical. The shocks I took off are 20.5" extended, the new ones are 17.5 fully extended. The fronts were an exact match.

That sounds short to me.   Ours are compressed length around 12 inches, and extended is just over 20 inches.   Monroe 31000 is what we have. 

Caveat, Elvis, our 1947 DeSoto does not have the original rear axle.  He's got something that's pretty wrong back there.

3 hours ago, Racer-X- said:

That sounds short to me.   Ours are compressed length around 12 inches, and extended is just over 20 inches.   Monroe 31000 is what we have. 

Caveat, Elvis, our 1947 DeSoto does not have the original rear axle.  He's got something that's pretty wrong back there.

It seems pretty short to me to but I put about 100 miles on it today and looked for opportunities to stretch the rear end down. Everything went well.

I got the tires balanced and discovered one of the wheels is bent, 1/8th or 3/16ths runout. So that one is my spare. The others only required .5oz of weight so I'm pretty happy with the cheap tires so far.

On 10/25/2022 at 9:31 AM, Racer-X- said:

Racerx

You are right on the mark! I went on a 125 mile loop today. I let air out of the tires 2psi at a time, when I got down to about 35psi (hot) the car settled down and rides like a dream. There's still just a touch of bump steer but the wild gyrations stopped completely. 

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it.

Andy