Fuel tank question for 1947 DeSoto Custom Sedan (S11)

Racer-X-
Go to solution Solved by Sniper,

Straight to the question. Will this tank fit?

Tanks Inc. 1941-1948 Dodge and Plymouth fuel tank

Thats a Tanks Inc. 1941-1948 Dodge and Plymouth fuel tank.

How we got here. 

Elvis, the 1947 DeSoto with the LS/4L60E swap has damaged fuel tank that used to look kind of like this one:

s-l1600.jpg

That's an eBay tank, FOR 1946 1947 1948 DESOTO BRAND NEW GAS/FUEL TANK POWDER COATED BLACK

Ours was damaged, first around the fuel sender opening, which  was modified (poorly) for a FiTech #40015 "tight fit in-tank retrofit" fuel pump. Then when another hole was made (even more poorly) for a fuel gauge sender that never worked.  And the final nail in the coffin was when "Bubba's exhaust" was driven into the left front corner by the rear axle that hit the exhaust pipe, below that plug shown in the pic. It's leaking at the seam on that corner, and it was leaking at both the pump and the gauge sender.  We've tried sealant in the tank and that fixed the leak at the seam for  a while, but it's leaking again.  We've relocated he exhaust, so it can't hit the tank. Oh, and I've used a tube or two of silicone sealant to seal the gaps around the pump and gauge sender openings so it's not leaking fuel or fumes into the trunk and stinking up the car any  more.

I can get another one of what we have, but I'll have to cut and drill for a new gauge sender, and modifiy the existing opening for the fuel pump, or some permutation of that.  I'd rather have it "ready made" with the holes we need for either the pump we have, or a pump that just bolts in, and a working gauge sender that I can just slap in there.

I like the Tanks Inc. unit, but that's a wider year range, and curiously, it leaves off "DeSoto" from the list of what it fits.  Are the tanks the same between Dodge and DeSoto in 1947? Does it look like that one will fit?   I'm asking for input from those with more knowledge of these cars than I have at the moment. 

Edited by Racer-X-