Oil changes - official records?

Eneto-55

I have always changed my own oil & filter.  We are currently looking for a newer "family car", and my wife is concerned that if I do the maintenance, there won't be a verifiable record of it.  Maybe this is why the last time I took my 2010 Grand Caravan in to an area shop to have them look at an issue I didn't feel up to doing myself, they ranted on & on in the service report that it had been YEARS since the oil & filter had been changed.  At the time I just figured they were looking at the little sticker that the car dealer had put on when I bought it.  (I left it there because then I could see at a glance what the mileage and date was for the purchase.) 

So, my question is, How big of a deal is it if, when you sell your vehicle, there are no records available for general maintenance?  (Like from a CarFax report, for instance.)  Is there any way an individual could submit records of this type?  Are there other agencies that compile that sort of info on vehicles?

(I think my wife may have sort of latched onto this, possibly as a way to get me to stop doing this work myself.)

i have never had a dealer ask about maintenance records on trade in. And as far as personal sale, I just offer to give the person my hand written record of what I have had done or did do.  Usually no one cares much I guess. I do keep receipts as long as I own the car.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

A web search came up with templates and suggestions by searching - - -auto vechicles maintence logs for owners and others repairs/services (or something simular).

Example of search:

https://templatearchive.com/vehicle-maintenance-log/

DJ

I have only ever sold one vehicle to a dealer, and that was in 83.  I showed him my record book I kept in the car (all maintenance, tire rotations, & gasoline purchases), and he seemed impressed - said something about knowing that it had been well maintained.  But in this day & age, I get the impression that lots of people want to see a CarFax report, and expect all of that to be on it.  Are there other companies that do that sort of vehicle reports?  So I was wondering if there is any way to submit information to an agency like that.  Do auto repair shops pay for a membership with those places?

Found sort of an answer on the carfax site (Emphasis mine):

Can I add a DIY service into CARFAX Car Care?

When log in to CARFAX Car Care, you can add your own service records, including records for services that you've completed yourself. Simply click on the "Add Service Record" button in your Service History. However, this information will not be included on the CARFAX Vehicle History Report.

Edited by Eneto-55
add additional info

I'd be careful with that sort of thing - putting your information on someone else's computer.  And yes, auto shops buy into those sorts of recording services.  No one does that out of the kindness of their heart.  Carfax is a self promoted service that got in on the game early, and their advertising has convinced people that a Carfax report is the cat's pajamas.  A Carfax report isn't free, someone (usually the seller) has to pay for it.  Like your wife, some folks get hung up on service records for various reasons that we can only really guess at.  I keep records on our old cars for my own satisfaction (and as I'm discovering - to support my recollection of stuff I've done) not anyone else's.  High-end buyers can get nit-picky about records as do high-end sellers.  We've never sold a newer car to a Joe or Jane Citizen, but if we did and someone wants to see service records, they'd be SOL, and we'll just move onto the next prospect.  My service records on newer cars and trucks are the manufacturer's recommendations, if that's not good enough, too bad.  But - If I was going to spend scads of money on an old car, I'd want records, but I'd want the seller's records, not a service's records, if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

A log recording key services is good to have for several reasons.  But, from a warranty or buyers view, receipts are much better.  A loose leaf notebook with clear plastic page holders is ideal.  Each holder could contain all the receipts for a given service.  Tires, brakes, oil, filter(s), antifreeze change, brake fluid etc.  Use a marker to record the date and mileage of the service directly on the plastic.

All in one proof of service and expenses if needed for tax purposes. 

I was once buying a new Toyota pickup. They were promoting a "lifetime" power train warranty. I questioned them on the details of the warranty and was told as long as the oil was changed and maintenance performed by a certified shop the warranty was valid. I told them I do all my own oil changes etc.. They said that would void the warranty. So I argued I felt I was more adept at changing my oil than the kid at Walmart who doesn't know a carburetor from a distributor. He laughed and agreed, but said that's how it is. I asked what the cost of the warranty was to the dealership, he said about $500.00, I said take $500.00 off the price and wipe your butt with the warranty. No dice, I walked, almost out of his office when he said ok and took $500.00 off but left the warranty in place. I had no plan of keeping the truck beyond factory warranty anyway, but it was the principal of the thing.

In another case, a mechanic that worked for me bought a new Hyundai. At about 1 year and 15,000 miles the engine blew up. The dealership refused the warranty because he had no oil change records. Hyundai, on the other hand, listened when he explained he had done them himself and they told the dealership to honor the warranty, which they did. 

4 hours ago, oldodge41 said:

I was once buying a new Toyota pickup. They were promoting a "lifetime" power train warranty. I questioned them on the details of the warranty and was told as long as the oil was changed and maintenance performed by a certified shop the warranty was valid. I told them I do all my own oil changes etc.. They said that would void the warranty. So I argued I felt I was more adept at changing my oil than the kid at Walmart who doesn't know a carburetor from a distributor. He laughed and agreed, but said that's how it is. I asked what the cost of the warranty was to the dealership, he said about $500.00, I said take $500.00 off the price and wipe your butt with the warranty. No dice, I walked, almost out of his office when he said ok and took $500.00 off but left the warranty in place. I had no plan of keeping the truck beyond factory warranty anyway, but it was the principal of the thing.

In another case, a mechanic that worked for me bought a new Hyundai. At about 1 year and 15,000 miles the engine blew up. The dealership refused the warranty because he had no oil change records. Hyundai, on the other hand, listened when he explained he had done them himself and they told the dealership to honor the warranty, which they did. 

This is what has my wife concerned.  (That and thinking that I spend too much time doing it, and maybe she's also worried the car will fall on me.  Pretty much no chance of that.  It's a place where the Obsessive Compulsive "problem" becomes an advantage.)   

Like you, I also think I do a better job with oil changes than these quick in & out outfits, where the oil is either just *mostly* sucked out through the dip stick tube (I've heard - Is this for real, or a myth?) or barely goes from a stream to a drip before the plug goes back in.  I always let it drip while I go off & do other stuff.  I know that some people don't think this is a great idea, but I also use the largest size filter that will fit.  I figure that the more filter material there is, the better it will filter the oil throughout the entire life of the filter.  (Just put in a bit more oil.)

• Like 1

According to the  Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the auto maker cannot require maintenance to be done by them as a condition of warranty coverage.  They can however require records and receipts.    If a dealer trys that, just contact either a regional rep or corporate and they will get straightened out in a hurry!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

just don't sell anything!  :D

That's the way it was at home, as a kid.  "Drive 'em till they won't go anymore, then park 'em out back until they get valuable again."  I haven't had that option here, in this small town, although I did cut our old 93 Chrysler T & C up in small enough pieces that I hauled it all away in an S-10 PU.  (several loads)  Except for the parts I still have.  The grill is hanging on my office wall, and other assorted parts are awaiting some undetermined future purpose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping your own record should be good enough,dealer or buyer can judge maintenance by looking at overall condition of vehicle. Keeping receipts of oil and filter purchases and writing mileage on them would be due dilligence. The only  new things i have purchased is a riding mower and my new kioti tractor. I will buy my filters and oil from dealer for 1st oil change at 50hrs, and aftermarket after that. 
used to be owners manuals had a checklist, that either the dealer or owner could fill out. 

23 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

used to be owners manuals had a checklist, that either the dealer or owner could fill out. 

While we were looking at used cars. one salesman insisted on pulling up a brand new Chevy Equnoix.  When I asked where the user manual was, he bragged that it is accessible on the "radio" screen.  I says, So, if you have a power failure, then you cannot look at it to figure out what's wrong.  He allowed as that could be a problem.

Anyway, we ended up with a 2019 Honda CR-V.  Spending my children's inheritance.  A "smart car", I guess.  Basically my wife's car, although I do the driving Sundays to church services.  Already took it to Oklahoma and back. (We live in Ohio.  Just over 900 miles one way.)  Got 39.8 MPG from what the smarty-pants car says on the screen.  If that's true, that part is great, but I'm not keen on all of this electronics stuff.  It knows I have a smart phone, and is always begging to get connected to it.   What do they say? A happy wife makes a happy life.  So there you have it.

Edited by Eneto-55

“. . , So, if you have a power failure, then you cannot look at it to figure out what's wrong.  He allowed as that could be a problem.?”  I love it when such questions are raised!  

• Like 1