Rear of truck sheet metal

dgrinnan

Is the piece of sheet metal across the back of the attached photo a standard piece or custom?  The other pic shows my truck.  I am getting ready for anew paint job and I am trying to figure out my options for finishing the back of the truck.  I might eventually add a bumper but not right now. 

TruckRearView.jpg

20211113_163404.jpg

The first truck is custom. However yours looks like it's missing a piece or maybe the floor is assembled different. On both of mine you see the rearmost wooden crossmember below the tailgate. 

IMG_20210606_204612.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgrinnan said:

That picture was taken before I got the piece you are referring to. I do have that piece installed now.  Thanks for the pictures.  At least I know mine is correct.

Good to hear. I should also mention both my trucks are missing the center tailgate support. There is a little L bracket that sits under the tailgate tube and bolts to the wood.

2 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Good to hear. I should also mention both my trucks are missing the center tailgate support. There is a little L bracket that sits under the tailgate tube and bolts to the wood.

Ed, do you have a picture of that L bracket?  I'm curious to what it looks like. I've never seen one before.  Also those tailgate latch brackets that are bolted on in your first photo look much heavier duty than mine. Did you take them off a heavier duty truck? I'd like to get a set like those.

DSCN2808.JPG

22 minutes ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Ed, do you have a picture of that L bracket?  I'm curious to what it looks like. I've never seen one before.  Also those tailgate latch brackets that are bolted on in your first photo look much heavier duty than mine. Did you take them off a heavier duty truck? I'd like to get a set like those.

DSCN2808.JPG

They came off a B series pickup but my 46 has the same ones. I think somewhere along the 39-47 series they changed them to this style. I'll find that bracket and get a pic up

Here is a picture of what I assume is what you are referencing from DCM Classics website.  I don't have them and I wonder if I need them.  I talked to the owner at DCM.  I purchased their metal version of the rear cross member.  It runs into the bottom of the side pocket and when you bolt through the pocket and the steel cross member I think it serves the same purpose as the "L" bracket.  It is to prevent the  bed sides from flaring out when the tailgate is open.

BP-330 Rear cross member "L" bracket

BP-330   Rear cross member "L" bracket

Edited by dgrinnan

• 6 months later...