Carter BB dashpot plunger - does it do anything useful when not changing gear?

Chris-R

Aaargh... having waited two weeks for a CK2 carb rebuild kit to arrive to the UK from the Carb Doctor in Lake Jackson TX, it turns out not to contain any parts to rebuild or replace the dashpot plunger. (Despite the rebuild kit being listed as suitable for my EV2 carb on the website.)

Rusty at the Carb Doctor says he can supply a replacement plunger at around $20, but there's another $30 for shipping cost to the UK - on top of the $30 shipping I already paid - and arguably more annoying is the extra two weeks I'll have to wait before being able to see if my engine might fire up for the first time in 30 years! (Apparently I should have ordered the CK442 kit which does contain the plunger...)

Anyway, I understand (I think) the dashpot provides an anti-stall function during gear changes, so can I get by with reusing this original plunger to try and start the engine if I don't want to drive it? The leather collar feels worn out and hardened after being dry for several decades, and soaking it in oil hasn't brought it back to life noticeably. So it obviously isn't going to function at 100per cent... but how will that affect attempting to start and run the engine while parked on the driveway?

I know the 'correct' thing to do is pay the extra $50 and do it properly first time, but I'm impatient to find out what the engine condition might be. (And if I say I need the kitchen worktop for another two weeks it's going to raise some eyebrows...)  ? 

Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 00.59.28.png

I would think it would be okay, just to check if it will run!  There should be no problems.

You might want to order the whole kit - if you are paying $30 for shipping anyway, might as well get the whole kit and have spare parts…..