Changing throwout bearing in B4B Fluid Drive, 3-on-the-tree

Bobacuda

I made some previous posts on this topic.  I have finished the job, so I thought I would give a brief write up for anyone else facing this problem.  I will probably have to make several posts to get the photos in.

I ordered a National 2065 bearing as recommended by others on this site - correct choice.  The bearing that failed had a grease zerk - it did not survive with annual greasing.  it was falling apart and chattering like a spastic monkey on meth.   I also ordered a "high lift transmission jack" so I would not have to dead lift the weight of the trans over my head while moving the trans in and out - also the correct choice.  It allowed me to do this job totally by myself.  I have previously done this task on my back, on the ground, and it totally sucked.   

Underside with all the stuff still attached that would have to come off.  The parking brake arms had to be removed to clear the cross member.

image.png.aa15cdae8691beb4e60eff2719434f3f.png

image.png.16ca036d5f0cd21957a59917ccbea0d4.png

Note the bottom of the transmission. it is not flat and will not work well with the flat surface of a trans jack.  I made a wood cradle that was shaped to match the sides - worked great.  It allowed me to use a rachet strap to hold the trans firmly upright on the trans jack.

image.png.2b5c3a9b8e6a720da9e3480da3d036b3.png

Edited by Bobacuda
Typo

With the necessary stuff removed, I raised the jack to the trans for tying down with rachet strap.  I had loosened the 4 bolts that hold the trans to the bell housing prior to this to make it easier to remove them with the tie down strap in the way.

image.png.3d1fd0068e01a187f217a35b132d3b76.png

image.png.5e7d54a1c52e19fefdbd6c13d787fcb2.png

Bolts out, a bit of wiggling and adjusting height, it slid right out.  Had to lower it a bit as it came out to clear the cross member (behind the parking brake).

image.png.e392ca0c5a6797757c5ba56f7fd3f7a7.png

With the trans lift, I was able to safely move the trans back and out of the way.  

image.png.85e5a1cdc8dba9636f0f5a57e17a4ef9.png

That allowed an easy removal of the throwout bearing.  In this photo, you can see the hole where a grease zerk was at one time.  That bearing was a bad choice for this application - too much crap to remove to routinely grease it.

image.png.eee53b17395a9b017cc46c9c6682a8fd.png

Clutch side

image.png.37e2c8e3b1f56519e1bfb9dc397e9b5b.png

Trans side

image.png.36bcabf36424b065a7fdadbda680fce7.png

The bearing housing would move at least 1/8' side to side, and back and forth.  When turned by hand it felt like it was full of rough gravel.  So, I tapped it off and pressed the new bearing on.

image.png.792250d532ae2946b7c0c23f8362d9f6.png

After that, it was put everything back together, and double check it all to make certain I did not forget anything.  Since I had to take the levers off of the parking brake, I had to adjust it.  This usually takes at least 2 adjustments.  One when its put it back together, the second after some test driving (and parking brake usage) so that all of the parts settle back in place.

Overall, I have about 10 hours of time in this project.  If you need to do it, I highly recommend:

1. A concrete floor to work on

2. A lift (if you have access to one).

3. A trans jack (with wheels) and a homemade wood transmission cradle, with a short rachet strap to fasten it down.

Since I bought the trans jack, I now have a new, large tool that is in the way most of the time, but already one of my friends has decided my concrete floor, lift and trans jack are perfect for replacing clutch in his farm truck...

And for those of you interested in the cost, the National 2065 bearing was $23 and the lift was $270 (Amazon - $293 total).  That is tax and delivery included.  It took 4 hours for me to assemble the trans jack - no directions & the pedal to operate the jack is a royal bitch to install.  Anyhow, I did not count tool assembly in the time for this job.  Had I taken my truck to a mechanic to do job, the project would have cost at least 10 hrs labor X $75 = $750.  Other than all of the damage I did to my head by constantly hitting things, I saved $457 in labor.

And the good news is, took it on a 150 mile road trip -worked great and no chattering.  Hope this helps anyone else needing to do this.

Edited by Bobacuda
  • Like 3

It sure pays off in the end, to have the right equipment. Congratulations. Now look into a bump cap, before you have to go to an ER for a tetanus shot and repair to your noggin. I googled meat cutters bump caps 8945 and ordered a couple to fit in my ball caps. I ducked under my four post lift and came up on an edge of my rolling jack, **** happens. Rick D.