After New Points, Cap, Rotor, Condensor, wires, Plugs and cleaning up the old Distributor== Now she backfires and runs rough?

SoundScaper
Go to solution Solved by Doug&Deb,

How is the best way to find top #1 TDC?  I tried cranking the motor until the timing marks were aligned to the mark. But then wasn't sure where #1 would be on the distrib cap ?  153624 I was told,  from the front of motor #1 last near firewall would be #4 ......but how do I know where that correlates coming from the rotor and cap? I had pulled #1 plug and placed a screwdriver down the hole, but it doesn't move as I crank the motor....like something is blocking the driver from making contact with the piston.....   D24 1948 Dodge Coupe Deluxe flat six

Edited by SoundScaper

Look for a little line scribed into the top metal distributor housing. The Rotor pointed to this machined line when it left the factory. Where #1 is today?  Who knows?  Lots of folks get it wrong. Could be 180 degrees out. 

More info to come.  We’ll help you. 

• Thanks 1

Spark plugs are numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6, going from the front of the engine at the radiator to the rear of the engine at the firewall.  The firing order of the engine is 1,5,3,6,2,4. To find #1 TDC,  I remove the number 1 sparkplug and put a crumpled piece of tissue paper in the spark plug well. Bump crank the engine and when the paper is blown out of the well the number 1 piston is on the compression stroke.  Bring the timing mark on the pulley to align with the pointer on the timing case cover.

• Thanks 1

Close up of line in top edge of distributor housing. 3 out of 4 of my Mopar distributors here, have this line.  So apparently not all of them are marked. 

543C5C45-4952-4C5C-9231-25EEBB045E5C.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Thanks 1

my question to you is did you order/buy your tune up parts based on year of car or as you should have, by the part number of the distributor.  Over the years it is not at all strange or unusual to have distributors changed, thus the NEED to buy by distributor over make and model.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoundScaper said:

How is the best way to find top #1 TDC?  I tried cranking the motor until the timing marks were aligned to the mark. But then wasn't sure where #1 would be on the distrib cap ?  153624 I was told,  from the front of motor #1 last near firewall would be #4 ......but how do I know where that correlates coming from the rotor and cap? I had pulled #1 plug and placed a screwdriver down the hole, but it doesn't move as I crank the motor....like something is blocking the driver from making contact with the piston.....   D24 1948 Dodge Coupe Deluxe flat six

Edited by joecoozie
incorrect

I must take exception to the response from joecozzie above.  My Plymouth Service Manual that covers 1946 to 1954 car models clearly shows the distributor rotor goes in the clockwise direction.  Also the drawing given by joecozzie shows the #1 position on the distributor at 9 o'clock.  The published position for the flat head 6 is at the 7 o'clock position.

1 hour ago, squirebill said:

I must take exception to the response from joecozzie above.  My Plymouth Service Manual that covers 1946 to 1954 car models clearly shows the distributor rotor goes in the clockwise direction.  Also the drawing given by joecozzie shows the #1 position on the distributor at 9 o'clock.  The published position for the flat head 6 is at the 7 o'clock position.

I deleted it so as not to create any confusion for the OP

Thanks

• Solution

I recommend starting from scratch. Remove the plugs and wires. With the plugs out you can turn the engine by hand using the fan. Place a finger on the front spark plug hole until the compression pushes it off. At that point the timing mark should line up with the pointer. Remove the cap and the rotor should be at the 7 o’clock position. I normally remove the distributor at this point when replacing points. It’s much easier to work on and adjust the gap. Replace the distributor and plugs. The firing order is 1 5 3 6 2 4. Make sure all the wires are seated properly on both ends. This should get you running again. After the engine has fully warmed up check the timing with a timing light and fine tune the adjustment if needed. If you don’t have a service manual I highly recommend one. If not someone here will have the data you need. Good luck.

• Like 1