1947 Dodge Custom Sedan - stalling & sputtering after new fuel pump

wingkingkong

Hi recently picked up a 1947 Dodge Custom Sedan. I am new to this world so bare with me. 

It has an flathead 6 motor which I believe would be the d24?

Car was running fine, but ran into an issue with the fuel pump. Wasn’t getting fuel to the pump, replaced with fp from Andy Bernbaum. Now I am getting fuel through the system, and the car is running. Drove around the neighborhood and it is now sputtering and stalling. (This wasn’t happening previously.)

Looking for some pointers on this issue (possibly an air leak from installing the new fp?)

Also looking for any resources for more knowledge on these vehicles.

32FF941D-B15C-4685-8045-995CC55B8E94.jpeg

2AB15D97-0B0D-4CA4-9440-327CD441731B.jpeg

5B0FB616-E97D-4AC3-96C6-2ECEDBF6A7E0.jpeg

Did the car sit for any length of time? Has the fuel tank been cleaned and sealed?

Could be a lot of things.....junk from the gas tank, clogged line(s).....

Maybe remove the line going into the carb and see if you are getting a good flow of gas and check for any dirt or residue.

Do you have an inline filter between the fuel pump and the carb? If not put one in and see how the gas looks coming from the tank. Wouldn't hurt to put one in anyway.

I had an old Rambler that ran fine at idle but when I went to accelerate it would sputter and stall. It would then restart immediately and idle but then sputter and stall - every time.

I ran a "new" rubber fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump (bypassing the original line) and that solved the issue.