'54 Plymouth Suburban generator questions

Faulkner

Here's the dataplate from the generator out of my '54 Suburban.  The Chrysler P/N is 134323 - it's not listed in my '54 MoPar Parts List Manual.  I include the page from the manual that lists generator P/Ns.  The Auto-Lite number is GGW6001J.  I understand from posts elsewhere on this forum, that the "J" in the Auto-Lite number pertains to the pulley.  At one time, the same generator was offered on eBay for a '53-'55 Chrysler product.

Is it likely that this generator was not original to the car?  Does anyone have Autolite specs, that could provide the current rating?  What's the appropriate voltage regulator for this generator?

A final, unrelated question:  Is there anyone making a solid state 6V, positive ground regulator for MoPars?

Thanks

Dan

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5319.jpg

12 hours ago, Faulkner said:

A final, unrelated question:  Is there anyone making a solid state 6V, positive ground regulator for MoPars?

Thanks

Dan

Yes...and it comes with an alternator!  ?

52 minutes ago, DJK said:

Love my 6v pos ground alternator from Bill Howard Enterprise.

10 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

your GGW 6001 is listed in my Plymouth repair manual as correct.

Thanks!  I see that now, I was just going by the parts manual - it didn't occur to me that they would be at variance.  Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

I would be interested in your results with them. Are you looking for a 60 amp, 6v pos ground unit?

My original generator had a 45 (50?) amp rating, so Bill’s 60A unit should do nicely.  Here’s what he wrote back - I ordered the black:

You can check out the item numbers below. Either one will work on your 54 engine.
Thanks for your interest.
Bill

234664164273 Plain housings
234694458280 Black Housings

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bob, I took the red 20 gauge wire between the generator and the A terminal of the VR, moved the regulator end to the BAT terminal, and the generator end to the alternator.  I cut the field wire at the generator end off and taped it up.  The F terminal of the regulator now does nothing - you can remove it, or leave it - it’s now not connected to anything.

by recycling the A wire to get a connection to the battery, I didn’t have to redo my harness.

31 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Bob, I took the red 20 gauge wire between the generator and the A terminal of the VR, moved the regulator end to the BAT terminal, and the generator end to the alternator.  I cut the field wire at the generator end off and taped it up.  The F terminal of the regulator now does nothing - you can remove it, or leave it - it’s now not connected to anything.

by recycling the A wire to get a connection to the battery, I didn’t have to redo my harness.

Great, thanks!