1950 DeSoto Emergency Hand Brake

Stargrinder

Folks,

I am trying to fix the emergency brake on a vehicle I acquired (1950 Desoto Custom).  It has the band style transmission brake on it.  The problem is the bolt that secures the brake to the transmission is missing.  Does anyone have any idea what size and type bolt it should be?  Parts manual calls for a 4-06-3.  I have no idea what that equates to.  The emergency brake on my 1950 dodge is a different setup.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.  I figured I would ask before going to home depot and buying one of every bolt I think it could be.

Hand Brake - Desoto.jpg

Just curious, do these brakes really function as an emergency brake or are they really just a parking brake. It doesn't look like enough surface area to stop a car very quickly and would put a lot of strain on the driveshaft universals.

They were never intended to be a true emergency brake.  More of a parking brake.  But, I can tell you that when in good shape they will stop the car.  Especially when connected to a 3.90 or 4.10 rear end.  Not only do those low gears make it easier for the engine  to move the vehicle, they also multiply the brakes force.

I have managed to slide the rear tires with one and the later internal shoe type heavier cars.   Not in a emergency, just foolin' around when  I was much younger. 

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Just curious, do these brakes really function as an emergency brake or are they really just a parking brake. It doesn't look like enough surface area to stop a car very quickly and would put a lot of strain on the driveshaft universals.

Lol, I got into a big ol' discussion about that on another site.

It's a parking brake.  Will it eventually stop a moving car?  Yes.  Will a pair of vice grips hammer in a nail?  Yes.  But that don't make either one what it ain't.

The service manual neatly sidesteps it by calling it a hand brake, lol.  The owner's manual calls it a parking brake and makes sure to mention that you should fully release it before moving, yes that's something I should heed, lol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chris 48 P15 said:

this is from 46-48 p-15 parts manual20221007_074021.jpg.d909c5147c230d9cf30b4aedd8a7be77.jpg

What is the full title of this manual?  (I have a repair manual, and some other manuals I downloaded on this forum, but I don't think I have this one, and this would be very useful, as I dumped all of the bolts together when I removed them, and some were already in a bucket, since I bought the car as a "basket case".  I dumped them together because I took them all in to the plating shop where I was working at the time, and replated them.)

Edited by Eneto-55

Handbrake,Parking Brake or Emergency Brake........I still have memories of forgetting to release this whatever its called brake soon after I bought the 1940 Dodge in 1971 and after a few minutes of driving along the road being surprised by a lot of smoke and the car starting to slow down........OOPS!!!!.........I'd forgotten to release the "handbrake" as I was told to call said animal.......so yes, it will slow the car, if not stop the car..........since 1973 the Dodge has had a 1962 318 Poly & Cast iron Torqueflite with its driveshaft handbrake and this brake is kept properly adjusted & works very well..........they are good brakes..........andyd    

7 hours ago, andyd said:

I still have memories of forgetting to release this whatever its called brake soon after I bought the 1940 Dodge in 1971 and after a few minutes of driving along the road being surprised by a lot of smoke and the car starting to slow down........OOPS!!!!.........I'd forgotten to release the "handbrake" as I was told to call said animal

LOL I think we have all been there, ? if not several times?

lost my brakes once due to a rusted line that opened up when i stepped on the brake pedal. the"parking" brake did stop the car, but i was only doing about 40 mph. i was only about 4 miles from home in a rural area, so the park brake got me home.  i would not to rely on it for much more than that.   capt den 

I maybe shouldn't admit to this here, but when the front brake pads were worn out on my 98 S10, and I had an obligation to get out to do some service work, I just used the "Emergency/Parking" brake on that trip.  (The parking brake was messed up, so it wouldn't lock down as it's supposed to.  I had already fixed that once, some years before, but after the second time it stopped catching it couldn't be fixed anymore.)  It actually stopped the pickup quite well (as long as you know how to keep the rear end from coming around).  But I also live in a very rural area, where the roads I needed to travel are so winding w/ sharp blind bends that you can rarely go over 35 to 40 MPH anyway.

Back to the original reason for your post,

I checked out a spare trans I have and though it's

for a P-15 I believe they are all the same.

That being said, 1" shaft length, 19/64" shaft diameter,

18 threads per inch. 

This is a specific use bolt. Head is both drilled for

safety wire & slotted for adjustment purpose.

Where in Maryland are you? Look for a 

P M from me.