NOS Oil Pump Pre-Installation Prep

Marcel Backs

I just took delivery of a NOS oil pump for my 218 to replace the poor quality chinese repoop high failure rate model which failed during initial start up. Apart from cleaning it up, I also want to take the cover off to check for dried grease and ensure gasket integrity prior to priming it.  Am I missing anything prior to installation? All the Best M PS the NOS one was sent to me in the original Chryco box wrapped in the original wax paper which I found quite cool!

My standard procedure on any oil pump is to remove the cover and pack it full, gears/rotors as well as intake and outlet ports with Vaseline.  Aids a lot in picking up the oil ASAP.

I started doing this in the early 60s when I worked on my first Buick 215 V8.  They recommended this because the oil pump on them is in the very front of the engine and the pickup in is the very back.  They were very slow to prime if not prepped with a vaseline pack. 

Seemed like a good idea so I just adopted it for all I work on. Even lawnmower engines with oil pumps get the same treatment.

I like NOS parts too.  When  I assembled my 230 I found a set of .040 rings, in Dodge boxes, how lucky can you get?   040 is not used a lot, and to find a set 66 years after the engine was built was amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

If you have access to Facebook The Freewheeling Tony Smith goes thru an oil pump and is probably a good example of what to do.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=5050826834938532&set=pcb.5051057278248821

I think I saw a video of him doing this, and as I recall it was probably someone here that have put up the link.  What ever it was, I copied the pictures and text into a document to keep in my files.  (I've learned that not everything that is on the internet will be there later.  Generally just the trash, and old vendor & price listings which go nowhere.)

EDIT: I thought at first it was a video I had seen, but the pictures I saved are identical to these.  Maybe he did a video and referenced this source?

Edited by Eneto-55
  • Like 1

I agree with Kencombs. Open it up, and, because it has been sitting for decades as a NOS, thoroughly clean it, and pack it with vaseline. The vaseline will dissolve in motor oil once it is primed. I was taught this trick back in the 70s and have been doing it for years with no problems.

• Like 2

The Freewheeling Tony Smith link that Sniper referenced is a MUST for anyone installing a new oil pump. The petroleum gel idea for priming seems to be a pretty damn good one too since it will not drip out during installation and prevent a poor prime. Thanks to everyone for the help! M.  PS I am not on facebook but you can print up the 18 pics for the Tony Smith post and pen in the comments since this is a really good reference to keep on file.

1 hour ago, Bingster said:

So for a first start in eight or so years for my 47' DeSoto,  how do I know the pump is working?

Crank it without the plugs and watch your oil pressure gauge. If is shows pressure, you are good to go.

• Like 2

Vaseline by the way is the only approved assembly lube for automatic transmissions that I have worked on.

Anytime you have to deal with shims and thrust washers and you want them to stay put while assemble something vaseline is really useful.

It doesn’t dry out like a lot of greases do.

Because it is a standard petroleum product, you don’t need to use the name brand. You can use the house brand.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Had the NOS pump gone over by my old school mechanic friend and Chrysler nut (64 Polara 426 ) with basically the same things checked that Tony Smith dealt with. He also packed it with petroleum gel and said as many are saying that it will help with priming. Just waiting for a rad core to be installed on the 40 dodge rad and once shipped back and mounted, we will be firing up the old 218 again with way better results! M