Rate my manifolds...

Chris-R

I've lightly wire brushed the manifolds, which are showing some heavy pitting. Assuming there are no holes already (I can't see any), what's the best way to look after/preserve these? Or is it simply a matter of stopping water getting under the bonnet again. (Sorry, hood.)

Screenshot 2022-10-05 at 13.14.18.png

Screenshot 2022-10-05 at 13.14.53.png

oh crusty, before I spent any money I would make some block off plates, one at the manifold to pipe flange, the other to cap off the engine to manifold port and air test for leaks, soapy water will show it.  Then I would sand blast them, clean out all holes real good.  I've heard of some using slip plate on the manifolds to keep them looking good,  Supposed to shed water and hold up well, though Slip Plate doesn't make the claim of holding up on manifolds.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/318377-anyone-used-slip-plate-to-coat-exhaust-manifolds/

https://streettechmag.com/2015/05/04/how-to-restore-an-exhaust-manifold/

The last time I had the intake and exhaust manifolds off the P15 I blasted and painted them with high heat silver engine paint.  It's been a few hundred miles and the exhaust has changed color and smoked a little at first but the paint has stayed on.  Be careful with the intake.  You don't want to get anything in there that could get into the cylinders and cause scoring.  Time will tell if the paint will last.  But it couldn't hurt

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

oh crusty, before I spent any money I would make some block off plates, one at the manifold to pipe flange, the other to cap off the engine to manifold port and air test for leaks, soapy water will show it.  Then I would sand blast them, clean out all holes real good.  I've heard of some using slip plate on the manifolds to keep them looking good,  Supposed to shed water and hold up well, though Slip Plate doesn't make the claim of holding up on manifolds.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/318377-anyone-used-slip-plate-to-coat-exhaust-manifolds/

https://streettechmag.com/2015/05/04/how-to-restore-an-exhaust-manifold/

Interesting... I've googled a bit on graphite dry lubricants and a downside seems to be it rubs off pretty easily, which probably wouldn't be much of an issue for me. Conversely you can spray or rub more on as necessary. We don't seem to have Slip Plate brand here in the UK, but there are plenty of other options to look at. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Kilgore47 said:

The last time I had the intake and exhaust manifolds off the P15 I blasted and painted them with high heat silver engine paint.  It's been a few hundred miles and the exhaust has changed color and smoked a little at first but the paint has stayed on.  Be careful with the intake.  You don't want to get anything in there that could get into the cylinders and cause scoring.  Time will tell if the paint will last.  But it couldn't hurt

I've read a few comments suggesting manifold paint usually peels and flakes pretty soon... probably at a rate inversely proportional to the amount of prep. I'm liking the idea of a graphite coating that can be touched up simply, without necessarily having the perfect substrate. I think I'll try it after only a vigorous wire brushing.