Door card fastener spring thingies.

OUTFXD

So... my new door cards showed up today. a full three weeks before I was expecting them.

Checking the old cards I have ONE little spring clip. (The little sheet metal clip that goes along the edges)

You guys have a source for these clips or an alternate form of attachments?

open to all forms of advice!

I used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017UBHQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I made my own door cards.  Drilled the appropriate holes and pushed these through. I think I have a picture of them either in one of my threads or on my phone.  I'll send it to you if you like.

• Thanks 1

FYI if you look at the door you'll notice its not flat on the inside. There is a rubber seal across the bottom which requires a longer version of that same clip to reach the door

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the quick replies!

Next would be the window crank handle retainer pins.  You know,  the ones held in place with the escutions.

I had two and one closer examination discovered one was a sawed off bolt.

I found a set on Ebay but guy was asking $1 a pin. Maybe I am just getting old but that is quite an ask.

Suggestions on cheaper ones?

1 hour ago, OUTFXD said:

Thank you all for the quick replies!

Next would be the window crank handle retainer pins.  You know,  the ones held in place with the escutions.

I had two and one closer examination discovered one was a sawed off bolt.

I found a set on Ebay but guy was asking $1 a pin. Maybe I am just getting old but that is quite an ask.

Suggestions on cheaper ones?

All the door handle and window crank handle retaining pins on my car started their lives as the shanks of nails.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lol, I ran into the same issue.

Here's the springs behind the escutheons https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon-auto-parts/pc/1960-1965-WINDOW-HANDLE-SPRINGS-55p197.htm

Here are the pins (8 for $6.99, free shipping) https://www.ebay.com/itm/323422396347?hash=item4b4d7a1fbb:g:t24AAOSwc-tY4xFH

• Thanks 1

I've found just about any miscellaneous clip, fastener, bumper, doo-dad, etc. that I've needed the past couple of years from Restoration Specialties (restorationspecialties.com).  They have a wide array of trim panel fasteners.

• Thanks 1

try restoration supply in windber pa. They carry alot of clips they also have a catalog that you can download.  They will be at Hershey this coming week so they will probably have limited staff at their building.

here is their link:   www.restorationspecialties.com  they have the catalog in a PDF that you download.  Great company to work with for supplies.  The pictures of the clips in their catalog are the actual size of the clip.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Thanks 1

I know every one complains about the cost of items that are listed on ebay. But you also have to remember that when an item is sold Ebay gets their 10% of the selling price for the part or collection of parts.

So you have to figure in that selling fee for the seller and then the cost for him to have found the part.  This is just the same as when you go to any swap meet such as Hershey or Carlise.  The seller has to pay for a vendor spot before they even get to the site.  Inthe state of Pa the vender also should have a selling license and then also take state taxes and is required to pay the state.

So just think of the seller, they have to collect the items, label them, drive to the major swap meet, have a sales tax license, collect taxes, sell you the items and then have to at lest make up the money that they have spent on their initila cost before they even break even and then if its a couple of days event, the cost of food, hotels and other items.  So in all reality sometimes the seller just breaks even or even is in the hole with a negative profit.

I sell at Hershey and there have been years when I made some money, but other years when I have broken even and other year came back home in a negative profit.

Yes some sellers will adjust their prices but put your self in their shoes, for some of us its a hobby to help witht he cost of the cars that we own for others it is their only source of income.

Hershey starts on Monday 10/3/22 with move-in day for the vendor and the official start is Tuesday to Friday with the car show being held on Friday and not saturday this year.

Please note the changes because if you come on saturday no one will be at Hershey.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sniper said:

I guess I should mention, if you don't know this, you need the springs I linked above to run the original pins, otherwise the pins will fall out.

Thats what JB weld is for! <jk>  Luckily I ran into a thread that explained all of this and found the original springs, eschuteons, and  2 pins in a tin in the trunk.  The eschuteons are in pretty poor shape so I am planning on getting new ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183173009257?hash=item2aa5f64f69:g:5DcAAOSwPhhbKA~f&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4FfQuClLx97GY03wFBGi7c20rEFUliT3DdKvjWQKdgQIH%2BAH6hFARlYmxZalPVYUBLBK11iLLwMs04FB6AgTizhvpBpPWwPFuaoYDyA2k3FjjMcFIWIA3h3A5MoCw53GJ4Cr%2BDgft%2Fs0uNrjIRhZpTXGtM%2Fktz9NciywKeArhQ%2FCQQnuPja5niZ4x7iR%2FjQioQI3cAOk8IYSm18xUpRYiWVsTciuy5DYRVGx9hbfvpUo%2BVVy%2BtSxMTAJSjyJhP6zEYR0DM%2FvlbHMv1%2Fu3JTl3OTjTrY3FP2wiIgy2%2FS%2BAF95|tkp%3ABFBMtrPV3_Jg

6 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I know every one complains about the cost of items that are listed on ebay. But you also have to remember that when an item is sold Ebay gets their 10% of the selling price for the part or collection of parts.

So you have to figure in that selling fee for the seller and then the cost for him to have found the part.  This is just the same as when you go to any swap meet such as Hershey or Carlise.  The seller has to pay for a vendor spot before they even get to the site.  Inthe state of Pa the vender also should have a selling license and then also take state taxes and is required to pay the state.

So just think of the seller, they have to collect the items, label them, drive to the major swap meet, have a sales tax license, collect taxes, sell you the items and then have to at lest make up the money that they have spent on their initila cost before they even break even and then if its a couple of days event, the cost of food, hotels and other items.  So in all reality sometimes the seller just breaks even or even is in the hole with a negative profit.

I sell at Hershey and there have been years when I made some money, but other years when I have broken even and other year came back home in a negative profit.

Yes some sellers will adjust their prices but put your self in their shoes, for some of us its a hobby to help witht he cost of the cars that we own for others it is their only source of income.

Hershey starts on Monday 10/3/22 with move-in day for the vendor and the official start is Tuesday to Friday with the car show being held on Friday and not saturday this year.

Please note the changes because if you come on saturday no one will be at Hershey.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I went to Carlisle this year for the first time since about 2005 and I was quite disappointed at the complete lack of vendors for older cars (pre 1960's??).  I'm guessing that show is now for 1960-1970 car enthusiasts.  I had a big list of items that I needed for my 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe and walked every isle and only saw a couple vendors that had anything close to what I was looking for.  

I've never been to a Hershey show.  What is the vendor turnout for older cars?? 

15 hours ago, clarkede said:

I went to Carlisle this year for the first time since about 2005 and I was quite disappointed at the complete lack of vendors for older cars (pre 1960's??).  I'm guessing that show is now for 1960-1970 car enthusiasts.  I had a big list of items that I needed for my 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe and walked every isle and only saw a couple vendors that had anything close to what I was looking for.  

I've never been to a Hershey show.  What is the vendor turnout for older cars?? 

Hershey is more geared towards the older cars. But, and a big but, You also have to remember that the entire antique car hobby and collecting is changing. The parts for the early car and up into the mid 50's are getting harder to find. Also the venders that did sell alot of these parts and also knew these cars are dying off and their collection of parts might have been sold off or even sold to the junk collector for scrap metal value.  The kids of these sellers do not have the interest and or desire to take the time to sell the parts.

Over my past 35 years of attending Hershey i have seen the slow decline of venders and prewar parts.  So yes Hershey does have the parts but you have to walk and search for them.  The major swap meets are geared to Ford and Chevy sad to state.  There are still some major MoPar venders but that group also is getting older and most of them are using Ebay to sell their parts, for some it is easier to sell, less hassle of people just haggling over prices, they do not have to pack and upack the parts, no swap meet fees,no cost to attend a swap plus hotel and food and gas expenses.

So my best recomedation is to join a national club that supports your car marque, list or sell your parts to a captured audience but attend the major swap meets and continue your part searching.  The fun part is when you do find the specific part.

If you do attend Hershey please stop over to my site in the Orange field row OAD site 7&8.  Also look for the National Desoto Club Banner.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com