Front Seat Height

steveplym

Did some searching on the forum, but didn't see much.  Front seat on my P-15 seems to sit a little low, not sure if I'm just dealing with worn out seat springs or if there's a trick to get it to sit up a bit higher. 

Wondered how everyone else's sits?  Seems like it is getting harder to see over that big steering wheel. 

Maybe it's just me though.  Thanks for any info. 

With seat moved foreward almost fully, measuring

from the floor to highest part of seat cushion is about 15 1/2".

About 6" from seat cushion to bottom of steering wheel. 

These measurements are approximate & done on stock  but 

re upholstered seats. Hope this is of some help to you.

• Like 1

1946 Special DeLuxe, stock interior, old upholstery with early or "original" plastic seat covers.  17" from floor (no carpet or mat) up to highest point on front seat seat cushion.  (I have my dash out, so I cannot say what the height of the lower edge of the steering wheel should be, but it is currently 5".)

Edited by Eneto-55

I’ve been thinking of adding some springs to the seat of my 49 P15, the 46 is comfortable. The outboard edges are weak in the 49. I found some 6,8 and 10” coil springs at Albrightssupply.com. I’m hoping that I can add some coils from the bottom of the seat and hog ring them into position, to firm things up. For now I have a sheepskin pad for myself and my wife sits closer to the center. You can probably find coil springs at other automotive upholstery supply businesses. Rockford is another that I can think of. Rick D.

When I bought the 41 Plymouth Coupe the upholstery had been done a few years prior to my purchase and at first glance looked fine but sitting in it meant that I was looking thru the steering wheel, the seat padding had collapsed as well as the seat back instead of being just past the vertical was at almost a 60 degree angle so decided to take the seat to the local upholsterer with the order to "fix it"........lol......best money I had spent......one of the seat frame pieces had broken so needed welding as well as all new padding and a few new springs were installed with the consequence that when I got the seat back & installed I was sitting ON the seat not in it looking over the steering wheel with sufficent back support as well........no actual reupholstery needed to be done as this was fine but it was money well spent......sometimes we have to bite the bullet........andyd

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG