Battery Hold Down

motoMark
Go to solution Solved by motoMark,

it should work looks to be a universal hold down bracket or go to your loal auto supply store and get one from them and if it does not fit than you can take it back.  If you have to pay for shipping and return postage than the auto supply store might be equal to the same price.

rich

Desoto1939@aol.com

On my 51 Cambridge there is a thick threaded rod bolted to the fender side of the battery tray, heck it might be bolted to the fender.  It is probably 3/8" in diameter, that hold down you show uses 1/4" rods.  So that will have to be addressed.  My original hold down is long gone and someone for a universal, adjustable plastic cross piece with a 1/ J rod like sown above.

I would take my chances on it. The width should be fine and with two holes on each side you should be able to make it work. I was previously using a homebrew hold down that I found in a Lark and it looked very much like this.

I am thinking about making one myself as it would give me an excuse to break out the welder and practice my mediocre fab skills. But when I saw this, it looked like it might work. I have a request into the manufacturer for the dimensions, so we'll see what they come back with. It would be fun to make one myself though... 

These battery hold-downs  look like they are coated with plastic, which would electrically insulate them.  I wouldn't want a fabricated metal hold-down to contact the live post or clamp.  Or, the metal could contact the grounded post.  If I disconnect the ground cable from the post, some current could still get through.  

Of course, one could put electrical tape or other insulator over the part of the hold-down near the live stuff. 

I used a hold down that I had in my parts. It is for a Ford truck or Bronco. I found one for $20 free shipping on eBay. 110982 made by United Pacific. From seller goodspeedusa. I enlarged the holes to fit my original bolts. My battery is a group 2 NAPA. I have a 110983 style on another car and had to raise the bolt on the inner fender 1/2” to get a nut on. Rick D.

8CFA6415-C5F8-4B6C-8E08-71EA342595A4.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 9 foot box said:

I used a hold down that I had in my parts. It is for a Ford truck or Bronco. I found one for $20 free shipping on eBay. 110982 made by United Pacific. From seller goodspeedusa. I enlarged the holes to fit my original bolts.

I like it! Thanks for the info.

I've been eyeing that styIe of hold down, too, wondering if it'd work. The oem hold down seems to have been made out of stamped steel which didn't fare well against battery corrosion, and when you find one on ebay, it's like $75 for a mostly rotted out piece of garbage. 

On 9/27/2022 at 12:21 PM, motoMark said:

Does anyone know if this will fit a battery in a 51 Cambridge? Looks like it might. It's an Auto Metal Direct, part number X341-1466-1, and supposedly for 66 - 69 B-bodies.  The product listing does not include the dimensions.

amd-x341-1466-1_xl.jpg

Just ordered this one from ebay. Thanks 9 foot box! I like the idea of a plastic hold down over the metal one for it's resistance to battery acid. Plus, the more I look at the metal hold down, the more I think the center cap of the battery will be in the way of the rod. 

s-l500.jpg

I have an Optima 6v battery.  It's half the size of a regular battery so these hold downs don't work.  I should make a hold down that looks good but I'm using the Road Kill method at present.  Zipp ties.  Doesn't look good but it keeps the battery in place.  I have salvaged a couple of plastic handles from old gas powered lawn equipment that I think I can modify for a hold down.  But other projects are more important for now so I'll do that later.  

I was just walking through my local tractor supply company yesterday and noticed that they had in stock and on the shelf a battery hold down that may be worth looking into for those in need and have a TSC or similar stores nearby.  This was hanging in their old tractor supply parts isle.  Looked so similar to the one in above photo.