Highway ride

Sniper

Took the old Cambridge out on the highway today, only the second time I every did that.  the first time I did it, I got on the highway got it up to 65 and got right off the highway, too squirrelly for me.  Since then I rebuilt the front end, new king pins, added some good gas charged shocks in the front, added Aerostar springs, one coil cut.  Much less floaty in the city now.  DIY alignment.

Took it out on the highway today with my son, got up to 70 mph at one point.  She handles the highway well now.  Slight drift right if I let go of the wheel.  Not sure if it's alignment or road crown.  I guess I'll spring for a set of turn plates and double check the alignment.  My $1.25 store converted pizza plates ain't cutting it, lol.

Still to do, adding gas charged shocks to the rear.  Maybe find a bigger sway bar for the front.  Some where I read someone used a Jeep bar, but as is typical no details to speak of.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, nonstop said:

Did you relocate the front shocks?  That took away the floaty feeling on the freeway (but also cracked my frame).

Nope, I found a set of gas charged shocks that had the correct extended and collapsed lengths.  It no longer floats about, at least the front.  I have to retrofit a set in the rear, I have them on hand, just haven't done it yet.

I saw an article in Motor Trend on how to make your own sway bar.

They used 4130 that they bent with a Hot Wrench then sent to the heat treat to bring it back to 28 Rc evenly.

I am not close to doing that project but I am planning to.

I think 1 inch would be heavy enough.

Summit has bushings to fit that size.

My car didn’t come with a sway bar and even the stock one makes a difference.

12 hours ago, Sniper said:

Nope, I found a set of gas charged shocks that had the correct extended and collapsed lengths.  It no longer floats about, at least the front.  I have to retrofit a set in the rear, I have them on hand, just haven't done it yet.

Sniper, which shocks did you use on the front?

1 hour ago, DJK said:

Sniper, which shocks did you use on the front?

These shocks.  had to drill out the bushing to fit the mounting studs on the 51 and has to reuse the 51's washers and nuts.  This shock will work, with the aforementioned mods, on the 50-54 Plymouths.  49 and earlier have a different extended and collapsed length.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/CPP-DT-4809G-1955-72-Chevy-Truck-Front-Gas-Shock-Lowered,440140.html

• Like 1

Did a bit of city driving with it this weekend, had my son with me.  The rear end got a bit out of line going around a rough curve.  Even my son noticed it.  Got the Jeep sway bar coming and maybe once I get those new shocks in the rear I'll have it sorted.  Well as sorted as it'll get based on the inherent issues it has, primarily tie rod lengths and it's effect on bump steer.  Might think about redoing that.

On 9/26/2022 at 7:08 AM, Sniper said:

Did a bit of city driving with it this weekend, had my son with me.  The rear end got a bit out of line going around a rough curve.  Even my son noticed it.  Got the Jeep sway bar coming and maybe once I get those new shocks in the rear I'll have it sorted.  Well as sorted as it'll get based on the inherent issues it has, primarily tie rod lengths and it's effect on bump steer.  Might think about redoing that.

Ha! maybe keep it under 60 in the hairpins

• Like 1