Trunk Handle Lock 51 Cambridge

rallyace
Go to solution Solved by rallyace,

As mentioned, I just took the whole assembly to my local locksmith last year and they cut me a new key.  Too both door locks and the glove box lock as well.  Got two sets of keys made for all of them, $65.  When I bought the car I got three keys with it, only one worked, the ignition key.

• Solution

Took it to a locksmith today. The handle was chrome plated at some time in the past and whoever did the plating filled the lock release plug and plated the locking mechanism in place. It cannot be repaired.  For what it is worth, he said this was not the first time he has seen this on classic car parts.   Thanks for the help. Now to find a new handle with a key........

Edited by rallyace
Add to comment

11 minutes ago, rallyace said:

Took it to a locksmith today. The handle was chrome plated at some time in the past and whoever did the plating filled the lock release plug and plated the locking mechanism in place. It cannot be repaired.  For what it is worth, he said this was not the first time he has seen this on classic car parts.   Thanks for the help. Now to find a new handle with a key........

Are you sure it can't be repaired? I recently had to pull the lock cylinder out of my 51 Cambridge trunk handle, and the lock release hole was mostly filled in with the chrome plating. A pin would barely fit in the hole. But I slowly worked at it with the pin, and then a small paper clip to eventually remove enough plating from the hole so I can actually get to the locking pin. Wonder if you can do the same???

58 minutes ago, motoMark said:

Are you sure it can't be repaired? I recently had to pull the lock cylinder out of my 51 Cambridge trunk handle, and the lock release hole was mostly filled in with the chrome plating. A pin would barely fit in the hole. But I slowly worked at it with the pin, and then a small paper clip to eventually remove enough plating from the hole so I can actually get to the locking pin. Wonder if you can do the same???

The plater obviously did not know enough to have the lock disassembled before plating the handle and went ahead and ground, filled and polished all of the pitting in the pot metal and then did a good job of chrome plating. The release hole was filled and then chromed over and the pins inside the lock are all solidly in place with chrome plating on the inside of the lock. The square pin that does the locking was barely visible through the filler material and is firmly set in the chrome plating. I would be looking at a lot of grinding and filing to free up the square pin and to find and open the lock retaining pin. Once that was done the locksmith still had to get the pins freed up so he could pick the lock to remove it. Then it would be off to a plater to have the handle repaired and replated. Lots of work and even more $$$. I am looking for a fairly priced handle now. One Ebay vendor thinks they are right up there in value with the Crown Jewels.

3 hours ago, rallyace said:

The plater obviously did not know enough to have the lock disassembled before plating the handle and went ahead and ground, filled and polished all of the pitting in the pot metal and then did a good job of chrome plating. The release hole was filled and then chromed over and the pins inside the lock are all solidly in place with chrome plating on the inside of the lock. The square pin that does the locking was barely visible through the filler material and is firmly set in the chrome plating. I would be looking at a lot of grinding and filing to free up the square pin and to find and open the lock retaining pin.

Ah, ok. Guess I was lucky to have the factory plating on mine.