Tie rod ends 41 WC

Changing tie rod ends for the first time in my 62 years (hey you gotta learn sometime). Once I have the castle nuts off, how do I remove the old tie rod ends? I’ve tried a few hard raps on the top of the bolt via a wooden block and sledge, but she ain’t budging. What am I missing? Thanks, as always, for your help. - Greg 

5F8DF268-F902-4A20-86C3-1DE135EF3F89.jpeg

There is a "fork" that will split the two apart. one size for tie rods and a bigger one for ball joints. Put the nut on a few turns and smack it with a good size hammer.

Most all auto part stone should have one to buy or even rent.

They are not kind to the rubber dust covers.

Good luck!

If you don’t have the proper press tool, or a pickle fork tool, a couple good sharp blows with a hammer right on the outer perimeter of the eye (where the stud comes through) will usually loosen the bond and they’ll pop right out. 

I found this video on YouTube that helps explain it better.

Edited by Merle Coggins

I've always tightened till TIGHT untill you can get a cotter pin thru the hole and slots on the castle nut.  That taper can be decieving....tighter than you think than with a straight hole.

• Like 1