Left stranded, assuming bad fuel pump.

bartenderfloyd

I took my wife's car out for a spin with my son to run errands.  Got to the first store, no problems.  Ran great as always.  Left to go to the next stop and the car died.  Kept trying to start but I could tell it wasn't getting fuel.  No fuel leaking under the car.  Plenty of fuel in the fuel filter so I knew I wasn't out of gas.  Wife gave me a tow home.  I pulled the fuel line and turned the engine, no fuel.  Here's a vid:

I'll pull it tomorrow but it's probably time for a rebuild maybe?  Hopefully it's just clogged or something minor.

If that is a recent manufacture (or rebuilt) fuel pump, look for the pivot pin to have backed out. Originally I think they were staked but nowadays they just seem to be loosely pressed in. The better rebuild kits have a longer pin with some way to secure it. The last one I got had two grooves on the pin and came with cir-clips (sp?) to hold it in place.

• Like 1

Did you insure you got the pin back through pump fulcrum lever? Crank the car over to ensure its pumping gas before you applied the JB weld?

I took the pump out and applied 3 layers of JB weld. One layer every 12 hours so it did not sloppily ooze away from the pin end. I got a good dose of it on each pin end this way. 

Edited by keithb7

There are basically two ways to stake the pin in place using a center punch. You could use the center punch to make some dimples in the housing around the pin to swell the aluminum body and shrink the hole for a tighter fit. Or, I may opt to use the center punch on the end of the pin itself. A couple of well placed center punch dimples in the ends of the pin will mushroom the end of the pin making it a tighter fit into the bore. Maybe even combine both methods and then cover it all with JB, just-in-case…

I tried to 'stake' the casting around the pin when I was left stranded on my way to a car show. After driving around several more times, decided to get under the car and look at the pump....sure enough, the pin was protruding from the casting again. This time I JB Welded both ends of the hole for a permanent fix.

This problem got me paranoid since I have a Chinese pump on my Coronet. I just checked mine and so far it’s okay. For those of us who don’t have an original style pump to rebuild, are there any vendors you all recommend. I’m rebuilding a spare engine and it’s missing the fuel pump. I’ll jb weld the one on the car but I’d sure like a better option if any are available.

Buy and old pump used or old rebuilt one on EBAY. Look at Ply., dod., chrysler listings.

Just looked at listings for 50 Ply. and found many new and some old rebuilds there.

Just one shown is dual action to also eliminate using engine vacuum for windshield wipers and are often hard to find. Needs rebuilt but kits are available which is what I would consider needed for any EBAY pumps that are older Not new ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115513090515?hash=item1ae51de1d3:g:oYIAAOSwfCVjEi4f&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsCkzT8R%2F9LVWA3eczNZzpy%2B0EIzWZmBkYZGRBcM%2BBkEq6P%2BgOrGQiScWtMHqpsif0at48jcF7YrmI3z9pHxGgV0cjBxWs8Vi%2BD6lmv87Q3MpI%2BirDnuV8stvh%2BORq3uZrKj4%2FpxqjDd4si94vQxWjscpViyb2QJIZQvsB3PUPl0ww%2BcXgi9X7MVo18qL9KDUCypiYi6bzhKt7iFlyTLUjdeXuVPtLEdeZsrLXgalpdTT|tkp%3ABk9SR_y1w9LrYA

DJ

I turned a new, longer pin on the lathe.  Left a shoulder on one end and drilled the other end so i could wire it in place permanently.  

• Thanks 1