Heater rebuild?

Fiddy B2C

I don't recall anyone rebuilding motors on here, but could have missed that.

The core you could take down to a local radiator shop and have it recored. They will replace the old V-cell core with a modern style tube and fin core....

I have mentioned rewinding motors here, but I've not done it recently, and actually only once.  It was an AC motor as well, not DC.  To replicate a motor design, it would be a process of noting closely how the motor is wired, then determining the wire gauge and the number of windings.  Then after rewinding it, you would need to coat it with the correct type of shellac.  On the one I did (a pedestal fan), the man who showed me how to do it and checked my work said it would be much simpler to rewind it as a single speed motor, which is what I did.  (It was originally a 3-speed.)  

I agree with the radiator shop for any heater core fixes, I had a local shop rebraze part of my heater core and extend the inlet/outlet as someone damaged them prior to me getting the heater.  As for the motor, if you can find them(as they seem to be disappearing quite quickly in today's society) a good alternator/generator/motor shop may be able to help.  The one near me here in Iowa specializes in large motors but can do other work, however he is a one person operation, with no one to take over his work long term so that is unfortunate.  They do make some quasi-drop in replacement motors.  I bought a 12V replacement blower motor for my Mopar Model 65 header to replace the working 6V one as I dont like using a resistor to drop voltage.  they are not inexpensive but you can find both 6 and 12V version.  There should be some forum posts you can find via search for blower motor information if you go the replacement route.

Sorry guys, I don’t need the motor rewound, and I don’t need the heater recored.  I was thinking that whoever was refinishing and re-doing the TruckMaster heaters may have extra parts for them as I am looking for the side doors of the Model 65 heater.  Again, sorry, I’ll be more descriptive in my posts.

Hard to say ... I have a Model 61 & the doors were completely frozen on them.  I disassembled it & soaked it in a bucket of molasses. ...... While the existing doors are very thin, they actually move & function now.

I'm just giving a personal opinion .... I think you may be looking for a replacement heater that you can take 2 and make 1 working heater from them.

The doors are made from very thin metal ... 20 gauge? Probably something you can make yourself. .... They in no way are air tight, Just a flap you close & air leaks around them.

Only suggesting you could probably fabricate a few doors in your shop with a vise & pliers., easier then you can find a replacement.

5 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Hard to say ... I have a Model 61 & the doors were completely frozen on them.  I disassembled it & soaked it in a bucket of molasses. ...... While the existing doors are very thin, they actually move & function now.

I'm just giving a personal opinion .... I think you may be looking for a replacement heater that you can take 2 and make 1 working heater from them.

The doors are made from very thin metal ... 20 gauge? Probably something you can make yourself. .... They in no way are air tight, Just a flap you close & air leaks around them.

Only suggesting you could probably fabricate a few doors in your shop with a vise & pliers., easier then you can find a replacement.

Right, I thought I’d try finding a couple first.  I live in FL, so I really only use the heater as a defroster when it rains, but with the 2 side doors missing, no air gets to the windshield.  I’ve got one more iron in the fire, if that doesn’t work, I’ll make some.  Thanks