Starting An Old Car

Kilgore47

Yesterday I drove the P15 to brunch to meet several people I used to work with.  One of the guys wanted to drive the car and I was happy to let him do that.  After he tried several times to start the car he gave up and we thought it might be flooded.  I had my friend get out and I scooted over and the car started right away for me.  That's when I realized I was using a combination to start the car.  Been doing it so long I didn't notice I was doing it.  Choke cable in the correct position, throttle cable in the correct position and tap the foot feed at the correct time while the engine was turning over.  When the car is warm it will start by just hitting the starter button but the car had cooled down while we were visiting and needed the combination to start.  Brings back memories from my teenage years - I was the only one that could start the 61 Comet when it was cold.

• Like 2

I remember on my 65 Barracuda with a 225 Slant 6 in Minnesota, on a cold start, I would depress the gas peddle all the way down, then release, then 1/2 way down and start the engine. It never failed even in -27 deg temps.

Now on my 37 Plymouth with an electric fuel pump, I turn on the pump wait a few seconds, pull the choke full and hit the starter. As soon as the engine fired I push the choke in. Never fails.

My 6v Dodge WC doesn't have an accelerator pump in its original carb. So, after weeks of frustration, I figured out that the truck is no different than my Stihl saw. Prime fuel with fuel pump lever. Pull choke knob all the way out. Attempt. It will attempt to fire up then, but will not (just like a cold chainsaw). I then push the choke in to half, and pull throttle back to 1/4. She will fire up everytime...