1951 Dodge Meadowbrook Brake Drum Interchange

51_Meadowbrook

I don’t have an interchange book and it’s leading to my downfall. I thought I was just adjusting the brakes but I saw the front shoes full of brake fluid. So I took the front drums off and decided to have them turned. Since I was doing the front cylinders I decided to go to the back and rebuild them. I took the rear drums off and brought all four to get turned. The guy said did the front drums and said I need new bearings and races but wouldn’t do the rear. He said they were so out of round he couldn’t get them to come back. So now I’m stuck with $450 per drum unless I can find some used drums. My issue is I don’t know which cars used 11” drums with the hub attached to it. They are 11x2.25. It’s my understanding that Plymouth had this type but used 10” drums. Any ideas on which cars used that style brake drums and where I might find some used ones? 

B4F79684-06FB-4944-8A59-A53708874F0D.jpeg

477C9A1E-4432-4258-8DEF-6C070898BC14.jpeg

Looking in my 1954 and prior parts book shows 1949 - 1952 being the same parts numbers. 1316 714 right side and 1316 715 left side. Passenger cars.

I do not have a parts book for trucks yet. Maybe the same part numbers in the same vintage or years.

Good luck.

there are many junkyards t5hat have alot of old mopars. not sure what they would charge for a drum, but call to find out. you will still have to pay shipping and maybe turning, so the 450 for a new one may not be out of line.try browns in texas, 940 393 2469. t5here are many more.    capt den 

My first project was a 1949 B1C 3/4 ton truck. It had 11" drums while 1/2 ton have 10"

If you use Facebook, there is a group https://www.facebook.com/groups/pilothouse

Douglas Crozier is a member there and he has been buying trucks & selling parts for some time now .... just possible he may have them.

No idea if they would work on your car .... I just assume mopar kept things simple & 11" drums would be the same between the car & trucks ... same with 10"

Good luck in your search.

16 hours ago, Frank Gooz said:

Looking in my 1954 and prior parts book shows 1949 - 1952 being the same parts numbers. 1316 714 right side and 1316 715 left side. Passenger cars.

I do not have a parts book for trucks yet. Maybe the same part numbers in the same vintage or years.

Good luck.

Why are the left and right different part numbers? Wouldn’t they be the same drum? What’s different about them? 

The ones I took off are riveted as well. I thought about removing the rivets and attaching a new standard 11” drum on it but the drum turned said he wasn’t sure they would sit right since the original drums are recessed from the riveted section. 

4 minutes ago, Frank Gooz said:

Good morning,

Mopar also used 11 x 21/2 brakes later. My 1970 charger has them on the rear end. 

Could you adapt?

I've wondered about the 10" drums on my 51, lots of later Mopar have used 10" drums too.  What I really need to do is pull my drums, measure them out and see how they match up to the dimensions I see online for the later drums, then buy a cheap one for fitment checks if it looks like it'll work.

I have not checked any dimensions but i have some rear drum that are 11 x 2 1/2 and 10 x 2 1/2. 

Is there anyone that has taken the hub off an old drum? The face thickness may be of concern also by look at the pictures the overall depth.

I will try to measure the drums i have later today and post them for comparing.

I have done a whole conversion, adapting 10x2 1/2 rear Bendix brakes to the original rear end and it works well, but I have not tried using just the drum with the current Lockheed set up.

Edited by nonstop

I have an Auto Interchange Systems 1950-65 Chrysler Products Interchange Manual dated 1979.....for Dodge rear hub or rear drum & hub it lists 1949-1955 6 cylinder (not Station Wagon or V8 models)........dunno if this helps........andyd. 

Here are the dimensions for the brake drums i have.

Mopar 11 x 2 1/2

4.480 overall height. this can be shortened by a lip that is .620 long.  The outside diameter is 13 5/8.

The thickness of the face is .105. the flat face on the inside mates to the axel face about 6 1/8.

Center hole is 2.840 and the stud holes are already.655

Mopar 10 x 2 1/2

3.680 overall height. The outside diameter is 11 9/16.

The thickness of the face is .100. The flat face that mates to the axel face is the same as above 6 1/8.

The center hole is the same at 2.840 and the stud holes are already .655.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Removing the studs revealed two pieces. Can I use a standard drum and the wheel studs into this hub or will the new drum be too shallow due to the indentations the older drum had which seem to push the drum back further? Do not use this picture as reference to the indentation, use the original one. Since I didn’t care about this drum since it couldn’t be turned I did not make sure to keep its structural shape when I was removing the studs. 

1ECD5D1A-7DC6-4057-80F3-B215A05E43CA.jpeg