Fuel Flow issue.

OUTFXD

New tank in finally. as well as new straps and isolators.

Re-took apart the fuel pump. The Pin had backed out again letting the lever fall out. Put it all back together,  Thinking about sealing the pin-holes with JB weld.

Took her to town yesterday.  Same old thing.  Got into a parking lot and she refused to start.  Current working theory is heat from the exhaust  vaporizing fuel in the solid lines. And yes,  the exhaust gets really hot, hot enough to melt plastic on the rear floor boards. Simply hasnt Been a priority up to this point.

Gas tank 4..jpg

Edited by OUTFXD

My cheap fix for pump pins:  If needed, grind the pin short enough that it is recessed on both ends.  Doesn't need much. less than 1/16".  Insert pin, using a center punch make a series of small indentations around the hole.   You can angle the punch toward the pin after the first tap or too.  That assures the metal displaced by the punch flows toward the hole.   Flip over, do other side.  Use a small pin punch to make sure the pin won't move past the punches.  Done.

Been doing this since way back when rebuilding old pumps was just the normal thing to do.

• Thanks 1

Noob question of the day!:  What would cause the muffler to get HOT.  I know, I know, Mufflers get hot.

I mean REAL hot. hot enough to get the Back seat floor hot enough to melt plastic.

The only things I can think of are the fuel mixture running lean, and excessive exhaust restriction.

2 hours ago, OUTFXD said:

Noob question of the day!:  What would cause the muffler to get HOT.  I know, I know, Mufflers get hot.

I mean REAL hot. hot enough to get the Back seat floor hot enough to melt plastic.

The only things I can think of are the fuel mixture running lean, and excessive exhaust restriction.

I would first suspect late ignition timing, so mixture is still burning when the exhaust valve opens.  Or, rich mixture, so rich that some gets burned in the exhaust system.  But that would (should) also be accompanied with a really black tailpipe and probably a really eye burning exhaust fume and stink. 

either should cause noticeable driveability and/or power problems.

• Thanks 1

Is your factory floor pan heat shield intalled above the muffler?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Is your factory floor pan heat shield intalled above the muffler?

I havent noticed it, but then I havent looked for it either.   I will make sure to check next time I poke my head under there.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1