Front wheel bearings

dgrinnan

I have my front brakes tore down for replacement.  Working on a wheel cylinder rebuild.  while I am at it and have everything apart I was wondering about the wheel bearings. the front bearing is easy.  It comes right out when you remove the axle nut and washer.   Is the rear bearing pressed or can I tap it out.  I haven't taken a real good look at it yet.   Is there possibly a spring clip?   

Rear wheel bearings are pressed onto the axle and held in by the backing plate. You sometimes need a puller to get it out of the axle housing but sometimes just putting the drum on backwards and a tug gets it out. 

Usually it is a dust seal that holds the rear wheel bearing in. .... I do not remember exactly how I did my 49 Dodge .... was so normal I did not remember anything special about it.

A common trick is to remove the front bearing, then put the drum,  & castle nut back on loosely. then pull the drum off by hand.

The castle nut hits the rear bearing which then pushes out the dust seal .... The drum is in your hands & the rear bearing/dust seal is left on the spindle.

On assembly you install the bearing & tap in the dust seal. .... You may want to replace the dust seal since they are $5 ... may not be needed.

The bearings & races are a matched set. You need to clean & inspect the bearings & races.  .... The race you can enter a long drift punch in from front of drum to catch the edge of rear race and tap it out. Then tap in the new race.      Just remember if you replace a bearing they come with a matched race & get replaced together.

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

Inner outer is much clearer .... I just know from another post they working on front drums ... So I assumed.

I answered for rear wheel which will make no sense if they are talking front inners!

I replaced the front wheel bearings on my ot daily driver 2 months ago. Bearings were loose & races scarred up ... they needed it.

The OD of the bearing is the correct size to pull the dust seal out without damage. The other way is a pry tool to pull it out ... you will damage it.

Does not matter if you are going to replace the seal anyways.

Me, I have a oil change coming up .... I will remove my 2 month old bearings & seals and repack them with grease & re-install the 2 month old dust seals .... Just because I can & want to insure I have well greased bearings.

If removed properly you can re-use them .... not worth it if they are 20 years old.

I always just use a long punch, drift, or wood dowel. Run it through the hub, past the outer bearing cup, and against the inner bearing. It should only take a light tap with a hammer to pop the seal out with the bearing cone. 

I’ve also heard of the castle nut on the spindle trick, but I’ve never tried it myself.