'48 P15 Driver Door Window Frame

Sam Buchanan
Go to solution Solved by Sam Buchanan,

I replaced the glass in this door a couple of years ago and now want to remove the metal surround for repaint. But for the life of me I can't recall how I got the frame off the door. Something about the vent window is keeping the front half of the frame from coming out of the door. Is the vent window attached to the frame and comes out with it or does the vent need to be removed first? I have recent vent rubber and want to avoid disturbing it if possible but I think I recall a screw under the vent rubber seal.

If someone can offer insight it will be appreciated!

Here are some photos of mine.  (I have the two window frames saran wrapped together for storage - hope you can still see what you need to see.)  There are two places where you will need to access in order to dismantle the wing windows from the window bezel/frame:  The pivot point at the top (two small screws), and the spring tensioner bolt on the bottom.

small - PXL_20220913_143934126.jpg

small - PXL_20220913_144804849.jpg

small - PXL_20220913_144451070.jpg

small - PXL_20220913_144018439.jpg

small - PXL_20220913_144504431.jpg

Edited by Eneto-55

1 hour ago, Sam Buchanan said:

That is helpful, thanks! I was pretty sure there were some fasteners that had to be removed, looks like the door panel is coming off, too.

No need to remove the door panel. You should be able to remove vent window and surround as one piece 

6 hours ago, Young Ed said:

No need to remove the door panel. You should be able to remove vent window and surround as one piece 

Pretty sure that is what I did the first time, I'll look for the screws at the top of the vent and give it another go. I hate forgetting how I did something earlier.......but at least I don't have to buy any new books...........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Pretty sure that is what I did the first time, I'll look for the screws at the top of the vent and give it another go. I hate forgetting how I did something earlier.......but at least I don't have to buy any new books...........

If you remove the screws from the surround it comes off without messing with the vent window attachment. Try opening the vent window but it should pop off

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

If you remove the screws from the surround it comes off without messing with the vent window attachment. Try opening the vent window but it should pop off

That’s how I remembered it but it was getting hung up around the vent. I’ll try it again, thanks for the info.

I may have misunderstood what you are after.  I thought you wanted to remove the vent window from the window garnish molding (frame), in order to repaint the windows garnish molding.  Then I was assuming that you would need to remove the vent window in order to remove the rubber gasket/seal.  (Assuming that you would not want to just mask it off, and paint around it.)

• Solution

Just to close the loop, the frame is on the bench masked and ready for paint. The trick for an easy removal from the door is to pop out the front half of the frame followed by the rear half. For some reason I couldn't get it to work the other way, maybe the vent spring wasn't clearing if it didn't come out first. Anyway....problem solved.

Edited by Sam Buchanan