P23 Thank you to this group - MrB has never run better

jt52MrB

I don’t post much but I use this forum as a weekly reference on the journey to improve my 52 Cranbrook over the last 8 years. 

Just wanted to let everyone know how helpful the information here has been as I have done the following repairs

1) total tune up

2) carb rebuild 

3) wiring the lights  

4) installing new temp gauge 

5) timing the car

6) making new plug wires

7) cold valve adjustment 

?replace shocks 

9) replace gas tank drain gasket 

10) replace u-joint dust cover 

11) replace coil

12) replace battery 

13) list goes on… 

I started this journey with no knowledge of car repair and thanks to this group as well as some YouTube videos and the old repair manual have been able to do this myself. Thank you all! 

6E8BC0CE-46D3-4B89-A840-0657B5DE71F3.jpeg

4741BE3D-D7B1-4DF6-B8D0-6883EAE3F2E7.jpeg

• Like 9

Oh my goodness, that's a sweet looking ride! I'm not up on all the different models, but I had no idea that Plymouth made a postless (I think that's what that's called) roof style with a wraparound rear window.  Congrats on becoming a trained Mopar mechanic...I'm working toward the same goal, slowly.

1 hour ago, ratbailey said:

Oh my goodness, that's a sweet looking ride! I'm not up on all the different models, but I had no idea that Plymouth made a postless (I think that's what that's called) roof style with a wraparound rear window.  Congrats on becoming a trained Mopar mechanic...I'm working toward the same goal, slowly.

"Hardtop" would be the name for that body type when and where I grew up with in the 1960s. I don't recall seeing a Plymouth hardtop from the early 1950s though.

• Like 1

Those always reminded me of what we called buck leather saddle shoes.  Sharp but comfortable.   Don't see many 2 door hardtop Plymouths around d any more.  Really a treat to see one.  Glad you had the patience to persevere.   I would make room in my garage for that at the drop of a hat.

A member of this forum once said this about old cars.  If you own an old car, sooner or later you will need to mechanic on it your self.  Glad it worked out in your favor.

Don't be a stranger as you drive around in your beautiful car.

You get today's Mr. Tech award for best use of remote resources.

image.png.30ed5320f740922ca33406c0ff3771e9.png

Edited by greg g
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TodFitch said:

"Hardtop" would be the name for that body type when and where I grew up with in the 1960s. I don't recall seeing a Plymouth hardtop from the early 1950s though.

The one pictured is a 52 and would be the second year a hardtop was offered. 

I assume that colour separation and molding is factory original?............I have never seen that colour separation before, here in Oz we only got 4dr sedans, 2drs & hardtops were never sold here till the late 60's so the way that the colours are done really intrigues me........is it a restoration or original?......either way its about as nice an early 50's Plymouth that I have ever seen.....a truly impressive car..........many thanks for the pics.......regards from Oz........andyd 

Beautiful 1952 Belvedere!

I have the same car only being a different color ....lower Belmont Blue Poly/Sterling gray top.

These are quite a rare P-23 Plymouth.

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 8:57 PM, andyd said:

I assume that colour separation and molding is factory original?............I have never seen that colour separation before, here in Oz we only got 4dr sedans, 2drs & hardtops were never sold here till the late 60's so the way that the colours are done really intrigues me........is it a restoration or original?......either way its about as nice an early 50's Plymouth that I have ever seen.....a truly impressive car..........many thanks for the pics.......regards from Oz........andyd 

Yes, it’s an original paint option. The Belvedere was originally a trim upgrade on the cranbrook. I bought the car from an old timer when I was living in Carlisle about 8 years ago. The paint and interior were that way when I got it. Had to do most of the mechanical fixes. 

The 1952 Belvedere roof to trunk trim and paint two toneshown in an ad and they called it the "Saddle Back' trim.

I have the original dealer introductory sales filnstrip and record kit for the 1952 Belvedere.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1