Does B = Pilot House?

DakotaFrank

• 3 months later...

Where to start?  Biggest tell is grill bars.  After that you can look at: dash, door crease, door gutter, hood, rear fender (53 is unique), then you start to get deep into minutiae.

To get down deep enough between B1 and B2 or B3 (year 51 or 52) you need the dataplate.

On Express models, almost all 48s will have the rear fenders that line up with the departure angle line of the bed; very late 48s and all 49s will have the rear fender that extends beyond the departure angle line.

B-2s will look just like '49 B-1s, the giveaway will be the amp gauge that changed from 35 to 50...also, column shift 3pd 1st appeared, so did the 2 little mounting holes in the hood for the optional Fluid Drive badge under the side DODGE logos.

B-3 changed grille, hood, and door crease, dash layout, steering wheel, door handles...51s have a bolt-on bracket for the hood prop; 52s have the bracket integrated into the hood reinforcement.

B-4s purty much the same as B-3s except DODGE logo on the dash instead of stainless bar...Express models have the formed fenders that were used up until '85.

additional information - Pilot-House Cab differences

• Thanks 1

This was a great discussion to define what B series meant. In my youth I owned a ‘48 3/4 ton and just knew it like that.  Now I know my truck was a B-1C. What a great truck it was.  Thanks for filling that info gap in.  Btw, I still have that dash cover plate for where the upright radio would be in case anyone needed to cover that hole. It’s dark blue.