My guide to Faux Wood grain on the cheap!

OUTFXD

after it has dried overnight.  Put on a good coat of the stain of your choice.  I am using Minwax with a translucent black.  it wasnt translucent enough for my taste and I ended up thinning it 15%.   Remember that this is water based so if you mess up you can just wash it off before it dries.

Faux Wood 2.jpg

Time to get artsy!  take a DRY brush (no stain. no water) and draw it along the trim drawing "wood grain" in the wet stain.  You dont have to be perfect. Wood isnt perfect.  leaving some imperfections make it look more real.   Saddly I am working with "Translucent" black so the areas that are "light" just look black.  You will end up with stain color where the stain is thick.  Base color "grain" where your clean brush wiped away the stain. and various shades of "light" stain where the brush removed SOME of the stain.

Faux Wood 3.jpg

Now comes the hard part.  set it aside in a warm dry place and let it dry for two or three days.  The stain is water based and the enamel is oil based, and water and oil dont mix. if you dont let the stain dry, the clear will react to it and wont be clear and it wont be smooth.

Ash tray 2.jpg

Edited by OUTFXD

I hear you. This is just me trying to be artistic with what I have on hand.  When I do the blue paint job the trim will get a full rework

<edit> Not entirely true.  I started with blue and black because that Is what I had.  I have continued with those colors so all the parts would "Match" .    I have dents to work.  I have rust-holed panels to be replaced.  When all is said and done,  I am going to repaint her  a beautiful pearl midnight blue.  Not sure what I am going to do with the interior,  but it will be reworked as well.

Edited by OUTFXD

Marc,

That Broadcloth was done 20 years ago from old stock. The wood grain I did on some of the Interior trims. Thanks for the compliments!

As with anything woodgraining is easy - it just takes practice - it is just like OUTFXD said if your not happy with it, wipe it clean and start over.

Actualy for window trim a wide flat short bristle fan brush like the ones you use to paint clouds with works best.

Got to get the artistic feelings stirring do this. A little spirits never hurt, when one is feeling particularly well disposed, time to grab the brushes. 

Tom

• Like 1