rear plate in front of bumper

Ed McDermott

Hi  1948 Dodge Custom.

I removed the rear bumper and plate that goes between the bumper and the lower part of the trunk and fenders as shown in the two images.  I was  starting to strip it down to the metal and repaint it, which I have now finished.  There was a material in poor condition that was attached to the plate.  It was soft and almost felt like putty when I removed it.  I checked the manual and Steel Rubber Parts supplier and did not find any reference to a material for the interface between the plate and body.  There are quantity 6  (1/2 in) press in bumpers on the plate

Question.  Is there a rubber or other material used on the plate  body interface?

In the 2 images, I have circled the the material in question.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

rear plate 1.jpg

rear plate 2.jpg

To start with the filler panel is called a bumper valance. There are six rubber plugs that go in the holes that keep the metal from touching and rattling. What I would suggest is having the valance sand blasted so that the metal is rust free so you fill it with bondo. When buying parts for your car try using the companies that are members in the P15/D24 Club, we want to keep these guys in business, not only do they have a lot of the parts, they are very knowledgeable.

Parts Vendors- Len Dawson- Roberts Motor parts-Andy Bernbaum, there are more but I used these people and was pleased with their service.

Happy motoring