What diameter hubcaps to use?

slatgrille

I posted about losing a hubcap on my travels in my '48 P15 Special Deluxe earlier this summer. After purchasing several replacements from here and 'that auction site', it came to my attention while looking them over that some measure 9" dia. while the others are 10" dia. The ones that came with the car are 10", but now I question which size should be on it. My rims are 15". Both sizes have the exact same style of font, so I'm wondering why the difference?  Tonight I just realized I replaced the 'lost' cap with the smaller dia. It fits just as well, thus my inquiry about why a 1" difference.

Craig

1 hour ago, Oldguy48 said:

I could be mistaken about this, but I think the Special Deluxe P15s used the 10" caps, while the lesser Deluxe models used the 9" caps.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!

You are right and both sizes will fit on 16s or 15s. I have 9s on my 16s which are correct for a truck and then 10s on my 15s for my special deluxe 

You could, if desired, use a narrow trim reng with the 9 or 10 inch cap….but need the 10 inchers for the wide beauty ring that covers the entire wheel..  The ise of the smaller hub cap on the cheaper Deluxe model is only one thing —- the dadh is less fancy….only one insode sun visor….only one arm rest…and some other things I can’t recall.    They had to reduce their biilding cost some way.

• Like 1