Oil taste test

pflaming

Today I watched a video of a Buick start up after sitting for decades. When the mechanic checked the oil, he touched it with a finger and put that drop of oil to his tongue. I’ve never seen nor heard of that.  Have any of your?

Only accidentally years ago, learned to keep my face away from oil draining.

Must be a acquired  taste- sort of like most alcohol drinks.  Hangovers from oil must be a bitch, though!  ?

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
spelling?

Sounds like you were watching vice grip garage. I've not tasted fluids intentionally. I did taste fuel once trying to test a filter for clog when stuck in a parking lot. Yup it wasn't clogged 

I've seen it and heard of it occasionally.  Last few times was folks on this Forum trying to make sense of it.  When I saw it, it was usually an "old hand" at a garage.  Only answer to "why?" I can remember was to tell if the oil was burnt.  When I heard about it, it was usually - again - and old hand that was trying to get the new guy to taste oil so they could make fun of him.