Aftermarket fuel gauge

jgreg53

My gauge didn't work in my car. it had been converted to 12 vdc. I was able to put a 6-12vdc transformer in and it worked. Your car is different from mine I believe. I had a look on ebay they seem to operate on ohms. Have you put a meter on yours to determine the resistance (ohms) range?

perhaps others with your year car are better equipped with the knowledge than me.

35 minutes ago, jgreg53 said:

Too much. 

The NOS gauges are probably going to be your only choice if you want a gauge that works properly. A fuel gauge that isn't accurate is worse than a gauge that doesn't work.?

Here is an example of what is available for vintage 6v cars, but I have no idea if it is compatible with our sender.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dynacorn-G02-Fuel-Gauge-47-49-6-Volt-Chevy,401051.html

92635592_R_dd7c4eb9-72f1-4c45-80aa-3064b

If your odometer works you can use that as a semi-gauge. Top up the tank, then calculate how many miles you can go until you get to 1/4 tank. Then top up again. That's the way I kept up with fuel in my kit car.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

WOW the price has gone up in the last couple of years.  I remember them asking about 75 dollars.  DeSoto and Dodge use the same gauge (42 to 48).  The face may be a different color but you can switch that with the gauge you have.  I found an entire gauge pod minus the temp gauge for 150 dollars (I needed a speedo also).  Also found a NOS fuel gauge for 10 dollars.  Bought that one before it went away.  And it was really NOS.  It took many hours and days of searching to find these deals.  Attached is a picture of the DeSoto gauge.  Part number 974-636 is on the box.

DeSoto Fuel Gauge.jpg

The sender and gauge should be for the same number of wires.  The post-war sender and gauges, like my 47 DeSoto,  have two wires plus ground.  Later Mopar senders and gauges have only one wire plus ground. 

If you just want an under-dash gauge, you can go with the more modern one-wire system, but you would need to ground the gauge to the car body.