Timing

Woodie

Going to do a tuneup and wondering what you guys are setting your timing at with the gas we have today as it is much different.  My 323 straight 8 says 2 ATDC but think it could be set better for todays gas.  Any recommendations?  Also I just realized my new gas tank has no filter in it like the original factory ones so where is the best place to add a fuel filter?  I have seen them at the carb or in line on the fuel line on the engine but leary about having it close to spark or exhaust manifold.  Thinking about under the car in fuel line.

I'm no expert but if you have a new tank then I'd be putting 2 filters, one near the tank in an accessible spot and a filter that can be easily seen for replacement and then another metal canister style between the pump and carby.....both filters being installed AFTER the thing, ie tank and pump that could introduce any crap into the fuel line........I've no authority on this arrangement or installation, but just my 2 Oz cents worth.......BTW.......if you send me your nice Chrysler Town & Country you can be assured that I would personally install said filters...........of course whether I'd send your lovely car back to you I must acknowledge I would be unsure about........lol.........I can't get over how nice your car is.............lol......its pic has made my day........thanks, andyd 

Fuel pumps are generally better at pumping and not pulling, so any restriction between the pump and tank is generally not a good thing.  That said, later tank designs usually has a sock on the end of the pickup to filter out the big chunks.  Then a filter after the pump to get the smaller stuff.  Whereas our stuff had an Oilite filter incorporated into the pickup.  My thinking is that there was a reason they changed filter locations.  Problem is sorting out why.

My guesses in order of preference is that it was cheaper to go with the later style setup.  Later v8's demanded more fuel flow and the in tank setup was a limitation.  Ease of serviceability, as anyone who has had one of the Oilite filters plug up can tell us. Finally, when they incorporated the pickup and sending unit into one piece (see guess one) there wasn't room for the big Oillite pickup filter.

Those are my guesses. 

I replaced the tank and all fuel lines. The new tank doesn't have built-in filtration so I installed a filter between the tank and full-time electric fuel pump (I removed the mechanical pump on the engine). There is no filter at the carb since all lines are new but if the old lines were still in place I would install one there as well.

fuel-pump.jpg.76a1ac43d57590819d096eb9f9f52d7c.jpg

I run 4-6 degree's BTDC on my straight eight Chryslers....2 degree's ATDC....not now days.

I want to hear the very slightest ping for a split second under a full throttle take off from a dead stop.

Fully warmed up...on a warm day.

This of course on the dizzy bench carefully checked over...points set to specs, vac advance, weights bushings, cam lobes checked etc.

I have my 39 Desoto with the large 6 set at 2 degrees before TDC. I have had this car for 35 yers and I also domy timing via the 6th spark plug wire and use an older sear 12 volt timing light but just hook of the leads opposite of the 12v negative ground I get plenty of flash on the light to see my mark.

I still run point, condenser and the old originaldizzy for my car.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com