Unknown frame part

Bryan

Factory shipping tie downs....they were to removed by the destination dealer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Factory shipping tie downs....they were to removed by the destination dealer.

Thanks..knew they weren't for towing but didn't have a clue. I'll remove them before cleaning the frame.

Going to lift the body up just high enough to get to all of the floor pan areas and tops of frame. Got 6 extra jack stands (to my 4 existing), a 2nd floor jack and two 4x4s.

Was wondering the best/easiest way to remove the steering box.   Thinking of the 3 bolts on the frame and taking the tie rod ends off.

I saw your shop on one of your other threads (where you also mentioned your plan for removing the body), so I didn't comment then, but I lifted mine from above, with a chain hoist at the front, and a hefty come-along at the rear.  I then set it on 2x6s crossways, on top of 15 gallon drums.  I was much younger then, but I cannot imagine working on the underside of the floor if the body is only a couple of feet off of the floor. (I also kept the lifts connected and just snug, but not enough to allow the body to move on the 2x6 and barrel supports.)  When we were kids we took the body off of a 53 DeSoto out in the back yard, just with bumper jacks, various types of blocking, and one floor jack.  On the dirt.  No adults were involved.  my oldest brother (who got the idea to do this) was probably around 14.  I cannot imagine what our parents were thinking, to let us do that.  Oh well, we lived.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

When we were kids we took the body off of a 53 DeSoto out in the back yard, just with bumper jacks, various types of blocking, and one floor jack.  On the dirt.  No adults were involved.  my oldest brother (who got the idea to do this) was probably around 14.  I cannot imagine what our parents were thinking, to let us do that.  Oh well, we lived.

Yep - that's what we did back then.  On the dirt in the back yard.  I jealous - you had a floor jack.

8 hours ago, Kilgore47 said:

Yep - that's what we did back then.  On the dirt in the back yard.  I jealous - you had a floor jack.

Actually, we may not have had the floor jack then yet.  I really don't remember well enough to say for sure.  But in the later years, at least, we sure did drag that jack across the yard a lot, what with all the cars we had in the back field by then.  And Grandpa had a big A-frame deal made out of something around 2" steel pipe that we used for a swing when we were kids, and later to pull engines with.  (He had a hand crank cable hoist mounted on it when he was using it, but Dad got an old chain hoist some place, and that was a lot more handy.)

• Like 1