251 Flathead Hurt

bambamshere

So today I was a mopar show with my truck. I went to start it at the show and it started ticking. I turned it off went to inspect and everything looked fine. Then I drove it back home and all was fine. Ran great at the light on idle and then I got home and it started not banging but a real load ticking noise. All fluids are good. 

I am running 15W40 for oil. Should I be running ZDDP with the oil?

Anyone have any ideas? I don't think I blew the motor or anything but odd tick. Could it be a piston?

Thanks for the help

Sorry to hear that. If its a rod bearing, sometimes pulling a plug wire will make the ticking change. I would consider removing clutch cover and check for noise as well. How’s oil pressure? Stethescope on timing cover, really loose chain? Exhaust leak is another. Good luck! I hope its not serious,parts arent readily avaiable in canada.

9 minutes ago, Tooljunkie said:

Sorry to hear that. If its a rod bearing, sometimes pulling a plug wire will make the ticking change. I would consider removing clutch cover and check for noise as well. How’s oil pressure? Stethescope on timing cover, really loose chain? Exhaust leak is another. Good luck! I hope its not serious,parts arent readily avaiable in canada.

Thanks 

Oil pressure was really good. I changed the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets last year. I did however remember now that I went over a set of train tracks and the truck was all over the place. wonder if I dislodged something 

A rod knock will sound just like that....a knock, and you can sometimes feel it. Usually only makes the noise when under load. 

A "tick" is more likely a tappet coming out of adjustment. And will make the sound at idle and load. 

• Thanks 2