Can anyone help me with shift linkage on 48 DeSoto?

MarcDeSoto

I fixed my clutch linkage and now I'm having some problems with my shift linkage.  I can move the shift lever up and down and shift gears that way, but you are supposed to be able to pull the shift lever towards you and away from you for reverse, I think.  Am I right?  Anyway, I can't get the long Gearshift Selector rod to move.  Does anyone have a clue?  see video

Another thing I noticed is my shift lever is supposed to be able to be put horizontal, but mine is at a 45 deg angle.  Something must be badly misaligned!  

A 1949 MTSC filmstrip has some info on shifter linkage starting at about 8 1/2 minutes into the film.

https://mymopar.com/mtsc-1949-volume-2-6-transmission-fundamentals/

Edited by MarcDeSoto
  • Thanks 1

there is an adjustment on the shift lever that should be looked at since the whole thing was apart 

when you did the overcenter spring and clutch fork adjustment

this may put the shift lever out of adjustment

this happened to me i lost reverse until adjustment 

• Like 1

I'm not having any problem with the cluth linkage.  Fixed that and I do have the special overcenter spring tool C-705.  I disconnected the shift linkage at the bottom and put the stick shift at the horizontal position.  Now I have to figure out how to get everything in alignment.  

Since posting this shift linkage question, I realized that most of you don't know too much about the subject.  Plus it's hard to put into words without pictures.  So I found that looking at the filmstrip that I posted above, and even better, reading the booklet starting at about page 17 explains shift linkage very well.  

https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/mtsc/018.pdf