37 clutch pressure plate

SteveR

I have just broken off 1 of the 6 bolts mounting the pressure plate to the flywheel. I know the proper thing to do is remove the flywheel and then remove the broken threads inside. This is harder than you might think as there aren't many machine shops that will take on this small project. The bolt did not break off flat, they never do for me. I do not know how badly the threads are jammed in the hole.

My question is this, Can I get by with only 5 bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel?

I cannot really say but to me in a situation like a clutch where a spring pressure is spread over the whole flywheel I would be concerned that you might not get a full release when depressing the clutch.  It also might wear unevenly.  Others may have more knowledge but that is my opinion.

• Like 1

Drat. I’d be pulling the flywheel again. There is a lot of force on the pressure plate. I’d want it balanced right. Especially after all the work you have done to fix your transmission. I’d also also be networking like to mad to try and find a home hobby type person with the tools to get it out.  Friends with hobby machine shops are very dear friends to have! 

Are the threads of the bolt extruding above the flywheel flat surface?  Or did bolt break off down in the hole? 

Extruded threads are a bit easier to deal with in my experience. You thread on a nut ,at least partially then them fill up the nut with weld matrix.  Stick weld has worked for me. Allow to cool. Then simply turn the mess out. The heat from the weld does amazing things to a seized bolt too. Comes out like butter after the bolt is red hot. 

A recessed hole a bit trickier. A drill press may be ideal but not necessarily required. Drill out a hole in the bolt. Reverse drill bits work well.  Or insert an e-z out extractor and twist out.  

Like they say, “a 20 minute repair becomes a 2 day project after 1 broken bolt”.  ?

• Like 1

I am pig sick over this. I was really hoping to have Daisy running this weekend she's been 7 months up on blocks.

Thanks, Keith and plymouthcranbrook. I did say to my wife tonight I know the right thing to do is repair it. Thanks for pushing me to do the right thing

• Like 1

Without knowing what obstacles may be involved in removing the flywheel ... should be just a few more bolts since you are already in this far would not expect it to take any special tools to remove the bolt ... I have been wrong before though.

I would expect the bolt to be at least grade 5, probably grade 8 but easy enough to slowly drill it out starting with a small bit & move up in size.

There are several styles of bolt extractors, you can get from a local parts store for a couple dollars. Would determine what size you drill out.

You would spray oil on the bit while drilling which also will loosen the threads, heating it up with a propane torch would be a great idea also.

Unless it was cross threaded going in the last time, it really should come out easy enough.

I took apart a pressure plate a few months ago ... this is a 51 Ford 1/2 ton truck.  I would imagine the dodge would be very similar in construction.

I have not removed my Dodge transmission yet to look.

To put it back together a shop would use a press to compress the cover over the springs.

Without a press I laid a board over the cover then used a hydraulic jack under the trailer hitch on my truck to compress it enough to bolt it together.

Just pointing out there is a lot of pressure going on here. We have long clutch pedals giving us leverage so we do not realize it as much.

When you step on the clutch missing a bolt, the missing bolt area may just barely move a hair .... but it will move.

The more you use the clutch the more the metal will flex & eventually fail.  Just a matter of time & you will be back in there replacing the pressure plate and any damage that occurs if the pressure plate comes apart & springs come out.

Yes it will work & may last as long as you are around .... or it may fail next week.

0926211030.jpg.ff2b81d55b1b732c13f84e2793c5e731.jpg

Edited by Los_Control

59 minutes ago, SteveR said:

I am pig sick over this. I was really hoping to have Daisy running this weekend she's been 7 months up on blocks.

I feel your pain Steve. 
For a typical member and avid visitor here, there really is only 1 practical (ahem) solution. 

Own 2 flathead Mopars. Planned maintenance and repairs keeps one car up and running at all times! ?

Never miss another parade. Never be absent from a “must attend event”. Never have spare time or money!

Keith

• Like 1

pull the flywheel remove the broken bolt

the book says to cross torque the bolts i think you need all six bolts

won't hold clutchplate evenly

not that hard once flywheel is out of car

use stud extractor set

drill hole down the center of broken bolt

use extractor to remove spray with pb blast or something 

because there is no torque on it it may come out ez

the spray is for rust

better than putting it together only to have to do it again 

having broken my share and then some of bolts, I learned to clean the threads up before I installed any bolts.  I got me a set of thread chasers, which are designed to clean up threads but unlike a tap it will not cut anythings from the existing threads.

PhotoID38562.jpg

• Like 4

I just looked at my 46 P15 with the clutch housing cover removed. It might be possible to index the flywheel to either side of the oil pan and drill the broken bolt out from the front of the flywheel. If you can get it to move with a 9/32” or 19/64” bit you can use a smaller bit to finish screwing it out, and staying away from the threads on the flywheel, because you have the start of a centered pilot hole on the broken bolt. Of course it’s just my thought, so it’s up to you if you want to try it. I think it’s worth a try, if it’s possible on your car. Rick D.

What I did was after installing the flywheel (I had to rebuild my tranny) I installed the Clutch Plate and then the pressure plate. (I had made a tool for centering the Clutch Disk) I got all 6 bolts in. Then went to tighten the 6 bolts. I over torque this bolt and it snapped in two.:eek: I guess I don't know my own strength. ?This whole project has been a mess and I know someone was in here before me. My car is a 37 with a 51 Dodge engine and a 39 tranny with 41 synchro rings. This is why its been up on blocks so long in trying to figure out what I have by way of the internal parts of the tranny.

My plan of attack. The bolt is grade 5. I plan on replacing all 6 bolts, remove the flywheel, and then the fun task of removing the broken stud. Oh, how I wish I had a milling machine. The bolt broke below the surface of the flywheel and did not break straight across. It's 7:15 in the morning here. I'll get some breakfast and have at it. We are supposed to get rain from Friday to Wednesday so no working on it then. (I don't have a garage to work in)

Thank you to all who have contributed.? I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this one. I'm 69 years old and still crawling around under a car like a 20-year old only these bones are putting up a struggle.  lol at least I can still do it, be it a bit slower. I'll keep you informed as to how I'm getting on. :)

Edited by SteveR

Can you tell if the rest of the bolt is tight? can you move it at all?

If it moves at all, can you find a left-handed drill bit? maybe you can spin it out. Run the drill very slow and push like crazy. you can tell if it's working the bolt will push back at you.

It has worked for me.

Good luck 

The flywheel is still in the car. I won't know if it's loose until I get the pressure plate off first. I did torque it down pretty good to snap it in half so I'm not too hopeful its loose.

I do have a new set of L.H. drill bits so that is on my list of things to try. Thanks

14 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Never miss another parade. Never be absent from a “must attend event”. Never have spare time or money!

You forgot never pee into the wind and ya don't mess around with Jim!

Edited by SteveR

I have been known for a few sayings: When my Kids were young, "The bus is leaving"

"Sometimes the dragon wins"

"We're reaching escape velocity"

This morning it is the latter. The screw is out. I used a L.H. drill bit and carefully and slowly it came out.

It could have gone all pear shape and many times it does but, Thank-you Lord!

Hopefully I'll get the tranny in today.?

• Like 1

I'm going to replace all 6 bolts and star washers. The problem here is that 5/16-24 bolts are an unheard-of thing. I had to order them and they won't arrive until tomorrow. I should at least get the flywheel in today. My wife told me, "Just take it easy today". Gotta love that woman!

When replacing these bolts make sure to use case harden bolts, I had the same kind of a problem when installing my oil pan used cheap bolts and end up braking one. It is easy to spot case harden bolts, they will have lines on the surface head of the bolt.

Happy motoring

Thanks Bob. I have to order my bolts here in England. They just do not have them on the shelf. These bolts are grade 5 and yes they have 3 lines on the head. The problem I had was I overtightened one bolt and it broke. Totally my fault. I'm planning on trying out for UK strongman competition. Give me a lever and I can move the world and that's how I broke the bolt. I was so afraid of it coming loose I overtightened it.

• Haha 1

Probably a good idea to use some locktite to hold the bolts instead of muscle  :)

Seriously if thats the reason why the bolt broke, there should be little or no resistance to remove it ...... possibly a magnet to connect with it & spin it out?

Without removing the flywheel? Possible you try to drill it the drill bit will grab & spin it out the wrong way.

Good luck with it.

6 hours ago, SteveR said:

Thanks Bob. I have to order my bolts here in England. They just do not have them on the shelf. These bolts are grade 5 and yes they have 3 lines on the head. The problem I had was I overtightened one bolt and it broke. Totally my fault. I'm planning on trying out for UK strongman competition. Give me a lever and I can move the world and that's how I broke the bolt. I was so afraid of it coming loose I overtightened it.

The best way to install the pressure plate is to tighten all bolts evenly the first time around and then use a torque bar to about 20/25 lbs. Case harden bolts are to brake.  Hey, I understand about ordering things out of the country I'm restoring 1947 Triumph motorcycle and getting Whitworth nuts and bolts takes a lot of time.

Bob