Carburetor Chrysler Town and Country 1946

Domiest

Hello  

In the forum, you  have a good experience on straight height motor so if you could help me, it will be wonderful.

i restore a Chrysler convertible Town and country 1946 but I have not the carburetor Stromberg initially mounted , I think to take a Carter 1bbl with adaptator but I have also to take all the other parts air filter, dashpot, …, could you help me to do the best choice with the picture of 2AB81F2D-47A1-449F-B03D-E3E57EE1D6AB.jpeg.85b499993a1f39a72d8f14d4a0fcec6b.jpegmanifold attached 

thanks 

domi

choice of two carbs ,Stromberg AAVS 2 ,almost impossible to find <i looked for over ten years then gave up . Other choice is the standard carter b and b ,very easy to find and set up/ Relaible and relatively economical. About 10 HP less than the Stromberg but there is such power in the engine it doesn't really matter.

3 hours ago, Domiest said:

Thanks

What are the parts that I need with carter carb and adapted to my manifold (dashpot, air cleaner, linkages,…) 

I suggest you get a copy of the parts manual for your car, it will show all that.

• Like 1

Domiest, I see from your profile that you are in France, and do not have the availability of parts as we have in the US.  I am sorry I cannot offer any advice about your carburetor problem.  If you can get a parts and/or shop manual, it will be very helpful, as others has suggested. 

Domi,

I have a good friend with a 1946 T&C. In fact I flew across the USA with him to advise him when he was looking at it and I have helped him with work on it.

In the next couple of days, I will take some detailed shots of the parts in question. There was a shortage at the factory in 1946 of Carter One Barrel Carburator's and some of the T&C's got a Two Barrel Carburetor and some got a Strongberg. So, if you are starting from scratch, you could hunt for any of the three sets of needed parts.

Give me a few days and I will see what I can photo and get it posted.

James

Domi, J'ai un bon ami avec une T&C de 1946. En fait, j'ai traversé les États-Unis avec lui pour le conseiller quand il le regardait et je l'ai aidé à travailler dessus. Au cours des prochains jours, je prendrai quelques photos détaillées des pièces en question. Il y avait une pénurie à l'usine en 1946 de Carter One Barrel Carburator et certains des T & C avaient un carburateur à deux barils et d'autres un Strongberg. Donc, si vous partez de zéro, vous pouvez rechercher l'un des trois ensembles de pièces nécessaires. Donnez-moi quelques jours et je verrai ce que je peux photographier et le faire publier. James

I know it would not be original but looking at the two barrel intake manifold I am wondering whether a WW Stromberg might also be of some use to Domiest as they have a rectangular, 4 bolt flange and have been a common carby on engine up to 300 cubic capacity........tho availability of both the Carter BBD & WW Stromberg in France could be the issue........andyd  

I may have one available, I recently acquired 3x airflows with the same straight 8 engine, actually one of them is the 323ci, and the other 2 are the 298ci.

I can check over the weekend, though, I am on the other hemisphere.

Alternatively, a weber DGAS 38 or variants would work well after proper re-jetting.

Judging by my 49, it would seem that the M6 would be okay without the correct carb, you would just lose the anti-stall (idle correction) and the kick-down. Neither should be a deal-breaker, though? A manual kick-down switch wouldn't be hard to add. Am I missing anything else?

Here are pics of the Stromberg EE-22

batch_IMG_20220902_140045610.jpg.91919977c570d26f8ea6baec71bf07c9.jpgbatch_IMG_20220902_140058959.jpg.b84a10a22a8d6a028d662e059d020d1d.jpg

batch_IMG_20220902_140101983.jpg.e5e91f7f2bbd5bdce274f87ea1989c77.jpgbatch_IMG_20220902_140106259.jpg.01b6b5b265146c4691d4d1348169584c.jpg

batch_IMG_20220902_140038375.jpg.ae563387545ee26eabefbc5fd61ada46.jpg

Note, where the fuel enters the fuel bowl, there has a been a repair.

Edited by maok

46 should have M5 trans

My opinion is that you have to go with one of the original B&B or Strombergs that has the lockdown, anti stall and auto shift electrica connections. 

The semi automatic shifting is part of the luxury and experience, and honestly a pain if you don’t have it setup as you need to double clutch to coax it gear up without the electrical connections.

Go with a Windsor B&B or maybe find a two carb adapter but I think you have to have the electrical for these vehicles . 

Domi, My friend is out of town and I am heading out of town for a week or so. So I will not be able to get you photos until I return.  James

Domi, Mon ami est hors de la ville et je pars de la ville pour une semaine environ. Je ne pourrai donc pas vous obtenir de photos avant mon retour. James

Thanks james 

it could be interesting to have photos of bloc-engine with different carbs  originals and adapted mounted on 8 cyl Chrysler 1946-1948 Fluid drive . If all of you could do that it will be wonderful, I never seen in forum.

All the best

Domi

Domiest -  nice project car - if you need to check any thing that was original - my 1948 car is an unmolsted one owner 38K mile car. Original paint chrome and wood never refinished. Took the engine out and rebuilt it and detailed the engine compartment. Lot of work to build one of these as factory picture shows I colorized.

78F5CBE3-F615-42AC-B026-C07A562C63B1.jpeg

93AD5FEE-6245-4F84-B18E-FB45A975D7CB.jpeg

• Like 4

Woodie.............YOU win the prize.......that car is absolutely beautiful.............the wood is perfect........what a car..........all jokes aside, can you do a separate thread with a few pics of the car as a green with envy aussie would like to see some more.......thanks, andyd  

Late 1947 on to the 1950 end year of straight eights used the carter B&B 1 barrel carbs on all Chrysler Saratoga's, NewYorker's, Town and Country convertible's and Crown Imperials.

1946 to early 47 eights used the 2BBL stromberg carbs which added 5 hp (140hp) over the 1 BBL. (135hp).