Gas Pedal push stem

Fiddy B2C
Go to solution Solved by Merle Coggins,

Hello all, it’s been forever since I’ve been on…life got busier….  Anyway, I’m doing some work on my ‘50 B2C and I’ve got a gas pedal that has a ton of lateral movement.  The push rod that connects the pedal to the linkage has no bushing at the linkage connection.  The rod just has a loop at the end that fits over the linkage and is pinned in place.  Is this how it was meant to be?  I feel like there should be some kind of bushing in there to take up the slack and prevent lateral movement.  I guess it may be like that and the original pedal is just worn out and allowing side to side movement?  Any thoughts or guidance is greatly appreciate.  Thanks in advance…

• Solution

There are no bushings in the throttle linkage. It was just considered a maintenance item to add a couple drops of oil to the joints periodically. However, if you have lateral movement of the throttle pedal you probably have an issue with the 2 ball studs that mount the heal of the pedal. These should keep your pedal from moving sideways.

Edited by Merle Coggins

Merle, I kind of thought that was the situation, thanks for confirming.  The lower ball studs are in great shape and tight as should be. In this case, I have the original pedal and the lower sockets are worn down exposing the metal, which is apparently the cause of the movement.  Pedals are in abundance, which parts house is best to get a pedal from…DCM, Roberts, MoparParts, or Vic’s Garage, or Andy Bernbaum? Do you recommend anyone?

Edited by Fiddy B2C

I will be making a pedal for mine.  Either a hardware hinge or a couple of rod ends.  Not sure which.  Actually it’s not the pedal I’ll make as it is ok.   Just needs a new/better hinge point as the entire linkage from there to the carb is custom.  Due to my modified 2bbl manifold ..

I replaced my original pedal with a Roberts one back in 2008, plus or minus a year. Now it has come time to replace it again due the the rubber at the lower ball studs deteriorating. It has been in regular use all these years.

54 minutes ago, John-T-53 said:

I replaced my original pedal with a Roberts one back in 2008, plus or minus a year. Now it has come time to replace it again due the the rubber at the lower ball studs deteriorating. It has been in regular use all these years.

Vic’s has one for $28.  In the write up, they say it is well made and won’t bend like their competition…I’ll give them a try…

Edited by Fiddy B2C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1