Recommendations on Pulling a Motor

Stargrinder

Ok folks.  I am on the fence here on if I want to try to tackle the removal of my fladhead 6 with fluid drive out of my 1950 Desoto.  I have some leaks that need to be addressed ... mainly the rear main seal.  I have never attempted to do this before so I would appreciate any advice and recommendations that I can get from forum members.  I am going to start labeling all the electrical wires to disconnect.  I have a shop manual which I have started to study to see how all the major systems are connected.  I am hopeful this will be a good learning opportunity for me; I am just nervous about taking the plunge.

Again I would appreciate any recommendations.  I have seen a few videos on YouTube (for example Keith's) but as you all already know there are very few videos about these old MOPARS. 

I paid a shop way too much to repair my rear main seal. I expected they would remove the engine. Turns out all they did was remove the oil pan, drop the rear main, and replace only the bottom half of the seal. Still leaks.

Then they told me my fluid drive/ semi auto trans was a 3 on the tree, and that you have to remove the intake and exhaust to adjust the valves.

I'll be doing all my own repairs from now on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I pulled my engine. Completely rebuilt it. The brand new rear seal leaks. Lol. I’m still learning too. Every repair I learn more. 

I’m thinking I may try the rear seal again. This time I’ll drop the tranny. Remove clutch. Remove flywheel. I really want to double check that I properly sealed up the rear main oil gallery plug. The Oil pan then comes off. Then the rear main cap. That’s a lot of work for an oil leak on  83 year old car. It probably leaked the day it left the dealer back in ‘38. 
So to be honest I’m in no hurry to tear into that seal again. 

I'm in the process of doing the same thing.  You can go thru my posts.  Take plenty of pictures before doing it.  Take pictures of carb linkages, clutch, brake pedal linkages,  where stuff is bolted up, line routings, cable routings, etc.  Once you take something partially apart, take pictures inside (like of the clutch arm) when you pull the transmission.

Buy some black plastic sheeting, and keep large cardboard boxes.  You can break down boxes to lay on.  Recommend cleaning motor and transmission, bellhousing etc before doing pulling stuff.  Otherwise you start spreading sticky grease and oil thru all your tools. Use the plastic to catch grease and oil goo to protect the floor.

Get some large clear baggies and sandwich size sealable bags to put small brackets, screws, bolts & nuts in, label the bags as you put stuff in them. Permanent marker on outside, stuff a label inside.

Buy a good battery powered impact wrench. I have one that really saved my sh--t about 4-5 times.   Need a large hammer and a map gas or propane torch.  A lot of penetrating oil and brake cleaner. Need to get an engine hoist (2 ton), load leveler and a transmission jack.   Set of SAE impact sockets.

you need to remove tranny, clutch, oil pan, flywheel, rear main cap {has bottom half of seal} may also have to loosen other main caps to drop crank a little to access the top half of the seal. also there are new types of seals make sure it fits your car. in the end it may leak but you will have cleaned gunk out of oil pan

not too many things in life are trustworthy. those jackstands are. i remember using ones that my grandfather made out of logs about 8 to 10 inches in diameter with little legs on them so they stood straight. guess i am lucky to be alive today. i used to use cement blocks until i found out they are not as strong as i thought. now i use the real things and i use backups similiar to sam's. i don't even trust lifts, but wish i had one.    capt den

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

I'm in the process of doing the same thing.  You can go thru my posts.  Take plenty of pictures before doing it.  Take pictures of carb linkages, clutch, brake pedal linkages,  where stuff is bolted up, line routings, cable routings, etc.  Once you take something partially apart, take pictures inside (like of the clutch arm) when you pull the transmission.

Buy some black plastic sheeting, and keep large cardboard boxes.  You can break down boxes to lay on.  Recommend cleaning motor and transmission, bellhousing etc before doing pulling stuff.  Otherwise you start spreading sticky grease and oil thru all your tools. Use the plastic to catch grease and oil goo to protect the floor.

Get some large clear baggies and sandwich size sealable bags to put small brackets, screws, bolts & nuts in, label the bags as you put stuff in them. Permanent marker on outside, stuff a label inside.

Buy a good battery powered impact wrench. I have one that really saved my sh--t about 4-5 times.   Need a large hammer and a map gas or propane torch.  A lot of penetrating oil and brake cleaner. Need to get an engine hoist (2 ton), load leveler and a transmission jack.   Set of SAE impact sockets.

Great advice ... Thanks!

15 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I pulled my engine. Completely rebuilt it. The brand new rear seal leaks. Lol. I’m still learning too. Every repair I learn more. 

I’m thinking I may try the rear seal again. This time I’ll drop the tranny. Remove clutch. Remove flywheel. I really want to double check that I properly sealed up the rear main oil gallery plug. The Oil pan then comes off. Then the rear main cap. That’s a lot of work for an oil leak on  83 year old car. It probably leaked the day it left the dealer back in ‘38. 
So to be honest I’m in no hurry to tear into that seal again. 

Keith... I have watched several of your videos.  Very informative... Thanks.  With all the work that you have done on your cars I am surprised you have anything left to do.

Thank Stargrinder. When you own a couple old cars there is always stuff to do. I could literally be doing projects every weekend.  Its healthy to take breaks occasionally.  Making the time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I enjoy driving my cars. Showing them to the public. Talking about the cars. Educating people, whether it’s in person or on my YT channel, or on forums like this one here. It’’s all rewarding. Somehow fulfilling. 

Edited by keithb7