Greetings and Salutations

Roscoe Clyde

Great car!  
Well, I still have a lot to learn about old Mopars.  When I saw the selector quadrant on the steering column I immediately thought of the Powerflite automatic transmission.  Now I see the clutch pedal and you called it Gyro-Matic… I think I understand how the semiautomatic drive works, but what is the purpose of the selector on the column? Thanks!

In the last two weeks, I have become a Gyro-Matic expert. At least in theory. The selector is just Low, High, Neutral, and Reverse. Low will shift from 1st to 2nd with no clutch, but you have to lift off the gas. High is the same for 3rd and 4th. Buddy of mine says he never uses Low unless he's pulling his camper or starting on a hill.

This is all new to me. A month ago I didn't know what a Gyro-Matic was. I think in 54 they started running Torque-Matic transmissions? Either way, learning new things every day.

Roscoe Clyde

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

Do you have Gyromatic or Gyro-Torque? One has a fluid coupling like my 52 , the other has a torque converter. Gyro-Torque also shares engine oil. I believe it’s 11 quarts for an oil change.

The quadrant usually had either Gyro-Matic or Gyro-Torque on it below the gear letters to signify which transmission the car had. The shifter still worked as it always had - a three-on-the-tree with no first gear position. I almost bought a '51 Chrysler with a similar quadrant proclaiming the car to be "Fluid-matic" (as they branded the M-6 in 1951-53, or Fluid-Torque with the torque converter). 1949-52 Dodge Gyro-matics didn't have the quadrant at all (like 1950 and earlier Chryslers and DeSotos). I suspect it was a measure adopted mostly to make the semi-automatic transmission resemble full automatics from other manufacturers.

http://www.kitfoster.com/images/2008-11-15_Gyro-TorqueWeb-Large.jpghttp://www.kitfoster.com/images/2008-11-15_FluidMaticQuadrantWeb-Large.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1