B1-B-108

Rball

Got a 49 pilot house that I just got back together and runs great, only exception is it seems I’m topping out at 35 mph.  Any to passed that and the engine starts cutting and sputtering.  Sounds like it’s winding out and over Reving at that speed.  It’s got 24.5” tires 12.25 center to ground.  Axle has 4.1F stamped on it( I think it means 4.10.  3 speed trans.  Could it be clutch slippage? It does bog up hill so I wouldn’t think so.

Yes taller tires would help actual top speed, I was only calculating by what the speedo was putting out.  Tall tires are in my plans but wouldn’t change that the Speedo shows only 35 when it feels like it’s reving too high.

9 hours ago, Rball said:

Got a 49 pilot house that I just got back together and runs great, only exception is it seems I’m topping out at 35 mph.  Any to passed that and the engine starts cutting and sputtering…

Does it “cut and sputter” at higher RPM in all gears? It could be an ignition issue, such as a weak or misconnected points spring. This can cause points bounce at higher RPMs. And although it may sound like the engine is revving up high, it’s probably not spinning up as fast as you think. The fan is a lot noisier than you are used to and makes guessing RPMs a bit misleading. 

Edited by Merle Coggins

8 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Does it “cut and sputter” at higher RPM in all gears? It could be an ignition issue, such as a weak or misconnected points spring. This can cause points bounce at higher RPMs. And although it may sound like the engine is revving up high, it’s probably not spinning up as fast as you think. The fan is a lot noisier than you are used to and makes guessing RPMs a bit misleading. 

A tach does wonders for what the engine is actually doing.