Tail light mounting

dgrinnan

I have new bedsides.  I also bought tail lights and brackets from DCM.  It appears the brackets are supposed to mount to the bed pockets.  There are no pre-drilled holes in the bed pocket.  I am trying to figure out the best way to mount them.  I am clearly going to have to drill holes but what fasteners are you using? I can go for just a bold and nut but it will be difficult to hold a nut on the inside of the bed pocket while I start and tighten a bolt.  I considered riviet nuts but so far the ones I have found are smaller.  1/4 20.  Not large enought.  I probably need a 7/16 bolt. (socket size) 

LE-187L - Tail light bracket Left side

For some reason I can't see your photo . My original bed pockets have one threaded hole from the factory . the other mounting hole is drilled straight through . Both bolts are 5/16 inch diameter . My photo is looking down from above on the passenger side . The black fasteners are for the tail light bracket . 

20220828_124808.jpg

Yes I put these brackets on myself . As far as holding the nut on the inside of the stake pocket , The nut was already fastened inside of the pocket and I couldn't see how the nut was held . I could only see that the nut had been in there a very long time and I ran a tap through it to clean out any grime , paint , and rust . The nut didn't spin free . For your application I suggest just running two bolts through the stake pocket . 

On 8/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, Jerry Roberts said:

Yes I put these brackets on myself . As far as holding the nut on the inside of the stake pocket , The nut was already fastened inside of the pocket and I couldn't see how the nut was held . I could only see that the nut had been in there a very long time and I ran a tap through it to clean out any grime , paint , and rust . The nut didn't spin free . For your application I suggest just running two bolts through the stake pocket . 

Nut welded on the stake pocket before assembly to the bed side if its like the B series?

I think I have the solution.  First of all, a lot of parts/pieces were missing from my truck when I got it.  I had no old parts as reference.  I am trying to put things together and it is a real puzzle figuring how some of this stuff was orginially put together.  I still need to confirm with DCM but they sell a "Rear cross member "L" bracket".  I beleive it bolts to the rea bed crossmember and the L inserts into the botton of the stake pockets to give the bedside stability so it does not spread at the top when you open the tailgate.  It appears to have pre drilled/tapped holes that I am hoping are designed to receive the tail light brackets.  I will post an update once I have this assembled in case anyone else has the same problem. 

bp-330-rear-cross-member-l-bracket.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dgrinnan said:

I think I have the solution.  First of all, a lot of parts/pieces were missing from my truck when I got it.  I had no old parts as reference.  I am trying to put things together and it is a real puzzle figuring how some of this stuff was orginially put together.  I still need to confirm with DCM but they sell a "Rear cross member "L" bracket".  I beleive it bolts to the rea bed crossmember and the L inserts into the botton of the stake pockets to give the bedside stability so it does not spread at the top when you open the tailgate.  It appears to have pre drilled/tapped holes that I am hoping are designed to receive the tail light brackets.  I will post an update once I have this assembled in case anyone else has the same problem. 

That lives on the back of the stake pocket and the tailight bracket lives on the front.

image.png.acd7bebbec3da58f497dd8faa129742c.png