window crank/door handle replacement

RazburyPly48

I did a search for this topic but was unable to find what I was looking for. I just re-did the interior on my coupe. Taking the handles off wasn't really bad. Putting them back on is a different story. Is  there a secret to re-installing them? A special tool? A fairy who does magic?  I find compressing the spring on the back side of the panel, putting on the escutcheon plate, pushing the handle on to the alignment hole for the pin and then putting in the pin a bit of a struggle and so far haven't been successful at the many attempts I've made. Certainly there is a way to make it happen. 

I developed a two-piece pin, to get around the misalignment problem when the holes get worn. 

I made pins out of brass sleeves with cores cut from the appropriate diameter nails. 

I use a regular nail to secure the door handle or window crank to the shaft.  (Push, push, on that escutcheon spring.) 

Then I can work the sleeve over the nail, securing the handle or crank, and  remove the nail. 

The sleeve holds the handle or crank in place. 

For strength, then I push the cut-off nail segment into the sleeve.       

This was one of the hacks the PO's mechanic was involved in.  No springs, bent nails instead of pins.  I bought new spring and the right pins but I don't recall it being particularly troublesome to install.  Used both hands to get everything installed other than the pin, left hand holds the handle in, right hand with a pair of needle nose pliers to install pin and release handle to hold it in.

Having a third hand is certainly the way to go.  Failing that, one thing you might try is reversing that large spring. The small end should be away from the door panel.  Or is it the other way around?  lol!  Try reversing it and see if that helps.  The other thing I've found to be of help is using a nail set pushed in from the opposite side your putting the pin in from.  That holds the escutcheon plate back due to the thick end of the nail set and it lines up the handle hole with the hole in the square shaft.  That allows you to let go of everything and hold the pin with needle nose plyers or a pair of hemostats with one hand and then with a small tack hammer, line up the pin with the end of the nail set and start tapping it in with the other hand.  By the time the nail set falls out the pin is about 60 %  in and then you can let go of the needle nose plyers/hemostat and tap the pin all the way in, using the nail set and tack hammer. 

On 8/30/2022 at 11:34 AM, RazburyPly48 said:

Thanks guys. I WILL win!

Didn't see it mentioned but I find it helpful to climb in the car and do it with the door shut.