hood release spring

johnp

This reminded me of something that might be of value for newer forum members. I installed an emergency hood release after seeing this become a hot topic in the Triumph TR6 community. The TR6 hood is hinged on the front and if the release cable breaks you can have a devil of a time getting the hood open. I decided to do the same on the P15 so the hood could be easily opened in case the release cable malfunctioned. It's a very simple mod and might save a lot of aggravation.

An additional cable was attached to the hood release catch.

image.jpeg.969927801c811b20088322c4c592e143.jpeg

That cable is routed into the left fender well where it can be pulled by reaching behind the wheel.

image.jpeg.b67a4de88afb5a9c37046240a48a8c70.jpeg

I've never needed this release but now I don't worry about about a broken cable or knob killing the original release.   :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 3

On 8/25/2022 at 11:59 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

This reminded me of something that might be of value for newer forum members. I installed an emergency hood release after seeing this become a hot topic in the Triumph TR6 community. The TR6 hood is hinged on the front and if the release cable breaks you can have a devil of a time getting the hood open. I decided to do the same on the P15 so the hood could be easily opened in case the release cable malfunctioned. It's a very simple mod and might save a lot of aggravation.

An additional cable was attached to the hood release catch.

image.jpeg.969927801c811b20088322c4c592e143.jpeg

That cable is routed into the left fender well where it can be pulled by reaching behind the wheel.

image.jpeg.b67a4de88afb5a9c37046240a48a8c70.jpeg

I've never needed this release but now I don't worry about about a broken cable or knob killing the original release.   :)

That's a GREAT idea. Occasionally I think about "what if"  You can't get through the grill in my 48 Chrysler so the only way would be to remove the pan that is forward of the radiator and a few of those fasteners are hard to get at.  This is definitely an upcoming project for me to do, thanks.