Everybody Sold Out 1947 DeSoto Fuel Pumps?

Bingster

I have looked and looked and everybody seems to be sold out of the Airtex pump. And O'Reilly's, Napa, etc. have nothing for my '47 S-ll.  I have seen older posts for $40 fuel pumps and $80 fuel pumps, Spectra pumps and other higher prices models but the $40 pump seems to be a thing of the past. Bernbaum has one for $135 but ???  Is this the supply chain thing or what?

Have you considered rebuilding yours? Or maybe you don't have a pump core to rebuild? If rebuilding I recommend these folks. Good quality kits in my experience.

https://www.then-now-auto.com/product-category/fuel-pump-kits/chrysler-fuel-pump-kit/

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

i rebuilt mine with a kit from then/now back in 2007. still going strong. not sure i would trust someone who says their pump was rebuilt 7 to 10 years ago. you absolutely need to know it has the ethanol resistant diaphragm. no guessing here.    capt den

Yeah, I was thinking last night that rebuilding would be the way to go at this point seeing that I am only trying to start the car.  I can take apart my old one to see how it goes together. I don't doubt I can rebuilt it, but you know how it is with learning new things. I certainly would not want to attempt to rebuild a carb at this time.

The issue with the diaphragm is a vital one, however. I would need to find a rebuild kit with the ethanol diaphragm.  So who has one that is inexpensive and with the new diaphragm?  I suppose $80 for a rebuild kit is about the norm? 

6 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

found a rebuilt pump for $45 on Ebay.  It says they were rebuilt about 7 to 10 years ago.

Curious if 7-10 years ago they would be acceptable for use with ethanol?

https://www.moparpro.com/fuel-pump-rebuild-kit-1939-1954-plymouth-dodge-desoto-chrysler/p1547

Seems $65 for a kit today is the norm, so the ebay seller at $45 for a pump ...... Makes ya wonder

Then & Now Automotive has kits for $52.50 and they really know their stuff.

The $45 Ebay pump has a disclosure statement, in bright red, stating that - "Please realize that most of the parts we sell on E-bay are over 30 years old, and they will be in need of full restoration and are not leaving us here in perfect condition, but they are a good restorable parts"

So this pump will most likely need a rebuild

Must be why they have the same fuel pump as everyone else but feel that they can change way more! ? ?

DJ

22 hours ago, Bingster said:

have looked and looked and everybody seems to be sold out of the Airtex pump. And O'Reilly's, Napa, etc. have nothing for my '47 S-ll.  I have seen older posts for $40 fuel pumps and $80 fuel pumps, Spectra pumps and other higher prices models but the $40 pump seems to be a thing of the past. Bernbaum has one for $135 but ???  Is this the supply chain thing or what?

My truck has been running great up till June of this year when I was out running around, and the truck sputtered and quit. My gas gauge never worked since I owned the truck but I was good about keeping it topped off and never ran out of gas. A sweltering hot June evening, a friend brings me 2 gallons of gas and the truck is running again. Up the hill I go but the truck slowly starts missing a bit if I push it so I baby to the next gas station and fill it up, but it only takes 3 bucks. It's tough starting but I get it fired off again and head for the house with the occasional miss. 

On the way home I'm thinking. I had a 6v Airtex electric pump on my truck the previous 8 years and then one day the truck shut off while idling in the driveway last fall. The pump was hot and I was running an inline glass filter and could see it had some air in it so I pulled the filter and when blowing through it could feel some restriction. I cleaned the filter as it is a serviceable one and reinstalled it and the truck was running great again. So my guess is the pump got hot again and quit but had some time to cool waiting for the gas can to arrive and then functioned just well enough to get me home. I had purchased a replacement 6v pump and a few 12v units after the issue in the fall so I was able to replace it the next day and so far no issues. So the moral of the story is had I fixed the gas gauge long ago I would not have assumed it was out of gas and checked the pump and filter under the hood I guess on that hot evening. What it means for anyone reading this is I'm passing on the info for the 6v pump I purchased which looks like it is still available on Amazon for about $34 bucks. So far pump is running well though a tad louder than the Airtex pump I don't notice it when the truck is running. Pump details say 4-7 PSI but I have had no issues with it so far if you chose to go with an electric fuel pump this one been going for 2 months now and gave me the opportunity to write some jibberish. ?

Amazon.com: AUTOKAY 6 volt Electric Fuel Pump Fits for Buick 1927 to 1930 1931 1932 -can be assist or primary : Automotive