shutting off motor at traffic lights

bach4660

Sitting in traffic and every light change I hear cars starting as they shut down at traffic lights. I was told that there is more wear on an engine during starting but traffic lights are only a 1 minute or 2 shut down.  My work is about 8 miles 12km from home and I counted I would have shut off 16 times on a one way trip so 32 starts per day. Am I just old or does this just seem wrong ? Are the starters re-designed for this kind of duty cycle?

BTW this is no criticism on pollution, just thinking out loud about starting my car 640 times a month.

Some of these cars and trucks are likely hybrid models that work on electric power part of the time like as they coast up to a light and then start the gas engine when the gas pedal is pushed to accelerate up to speed before switching back to electric.  

2 hours ago, Veemoney said:

Some of these cars and trucks are likely hybrid models that work on electric power part of the time like as they coast up to a light and then start the gas engine when the gas pedal is pushed to accelerate up to speed before switching back to electric.  

that makes sense.

• Like 1

Most modern vehicles have an auto-idle shut down system that will shut down the engine when it's not needed. My 2020 F150 has this feature and it's always shutting off the engine when I come to a stop. When you take your foot off the brake it restarts, so when it shuts off at a traffic light I usually pump the brake pedal quick and the engine will restart and stay running until the light changes. There's also a button to disable the function but it would have to be activated every time you start the vehicle. 

I also wonder what the starter longevity will be on these newer vehicles, but I haven't heard of it being an issue. Apparently the starters are designed for the more severe duty. 

It is done for one thing only, to up the gas mileage to to CAFE requirements.

I had a Ford Escape hybrid as a company truck that would shut off at lights, no AC and it didnt take long to heat up the passenger compartment in the summer out here.  Probably wasted more gas running the AC trying to fight the heat load.  I have a friend that has a Civic hybrid, much newer model, that had an AC compressor that is both engine driven and electrically driven, depending on what mode the car is in.  For the record, that compressor is a real pain to replace, BTDT, and not cheap even rebuilt.

I remember the USPS running this system, when I lived in Spokane WA.  I was maybe 30 - 35 years old then, 60 years old today .... was a long time ago.

Our house had a mail box on the porch. The mail person would pull up to the house, exit the vehicle deliver the mail & then continue on.

The vehicle would die as they pulled up, then instantly start up & drive off again as they sat down. ..... Whatever!

I always thought of it as a experiment that the USPS tried, then abandoned.  ... I have never seen a USPS truck since then do the same thing.

I admit to being wrong, maybe the USPS found this to be productive .... In my little world I've just never seen a mail man with this type of vehicle in 30 years.

I think it’s a silly system. I will not likely buy a car that does this. And I probably will never have to, as they are going to make gasoline cars illegal here.

22 hours ago, Ulu said:

I think it’s a silly system. I will not likely buy a car that does this. And I probably will never have to, as they are going to make gasoline cars illegal here.

That will be the REAL test...considering the grid can barely handle current loads (Kalifornia for sure)....add a few million more people and then everyone's EV and see what happens...IMO it's all to "make a statement" with zero math/common sense behind it.

• Like 1

Well if-

All new electric vehicle roofs will be made of 100 % solar panels per a new law!  Not yet passed, but-

In Ca. the legislature LOVES passing new laws, does not matter if the law is needed but bonus pay is rewarded for writing laws that get passed.

Since all legislators want the extra $$, they all vote for the new law- - -

At least it seems this way to me!

Maybe if they all took extended vacations in the  heavily drug gang controlled areas of Mexico-- - plenty of choice locations are available for their pleasure!

Maybe there would be some light - - -

Too much already said so I will let this go.

DJ

• Like 1